Thread: Shopping for a Locator

Shopping for a Locator

Hi,

I am shopping for a new locator. Price range is around $200 - $300. I do not need all the bells and whistles. As long as I am able to mark fish and know the water temperature I am good to go. GPS would be great, but really not needed because most of the lakes I fish are the puddles of northern WI.

Thanks for any input.

Kevin

RE: Shopping for a Locator

Buy an Eagle. In that price range it's the best your gonna find. IMO

I would highly suggest getting a FishElite 642C iGPS. They may be hard to find but it would be worth the time to search them out. I bought my unit from Gander in Wausau. This combo unit ran for about $430. Cabelas has it on sale now for $360. Most newer units are 3-5 times more expensive.

Couple it with a lakemaster chip and it will shorten your learning curve tremendously when learning a new lake or learning more about one you have fished before. Brad Nelson had a great article in AUG/Sept issue of Musky hunter on using your combo to map out a lake for fishing and I read an article from Rob Manthei about using your combo to scout out ice fishing spots during open water in Esox magazine.

Hi Kevin,

I am changing my bow locator out so I will have one for sale...

What I have is a garmin GPSmap 178C with two garmin map cards for it. One is an older lake of the woods version (not very good, but better than nothing) and I believe a garmin recreational lakes as well. This has an internal antennae along with the power cord and transducer. There are some hard water spots on the screen, but other than that, it is in great condition.

I would be looking to get $265 TYD for it and I believe I still have all the manuals and the box for it as well.

If you are interested, please email me at steve.vaerst@spps.org. If you have a hotmail, gmail or yahoo email address, I will get it, but it will go to a spam filter first.

Steve