Thread: Diawa luna 300

Diawa luna 300

Anyone have experience tossing lighter lures 2oz and less with this reel? Probably spool it with 50# power pro. I'm thinking of putting one on a medium power 8 footer for some small river stuff I like to do. Also considering a curado 300, just skeptical of durability and power of the low profiler with the quick gearing.

Luna 300 works fine for me. I have never used a Curado so I can't compare.

The only reels I have are Curado's and you can throw anything with them, even big baits if you get the power handle.

I would not use PowerPro less than 65 lb test... and suggest 80. I tried 50 and found it broke far more easily than other superlines of the same line test.

I've used 50 lb Stealth and even 30 lb Fireline without issues.

I have used both the curado and luna 300, and both reels are great. The curado can easily cast lures that are as light as 1/2 oz., and and as heavy as mag bulldawgs. I even use the curado for bass fishing sometimes. As for the gear ratio, it makes it easier to burn medium to small bucktails, crankbaits, topwaters, jigs, or simply just pick up slack line. It definitely is one tough reel--a lot tougher and more durable than it looks.
    As for the luna 300, I don't get as much casting distance with lighter lures vs. the curado, but I would say it seems to have a little more cranking power.
    Which ever reel you use/choose, I wouldn't recommend any line under 65 lbs. if you're primary target is muskie. For one, the 65 lbs. and 80 lbs. diameters will not backlash as easily as the 50 lbs. test, and two... it will greatly reduce your percentage of accidently snapping your line if you get a backlash.
    Either reel is well talored to accept the 65 lbs. or 80 lbs. line diameters perfectly...so you will have no problem with this, but if lighter lures are what you want to use, then the 65 lbs. test would be perfect.

Get the Curado. It is a much better reel than the Luna. I also agree on line with the thought of going to 65# except for Suffix 832. Then I would go to 80# unless I just got a bad batch of the 65# Suffix.