Thread: How'd They Do That??

Question How'd They Do That??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06GfY...eature=related
    Anyone know or guess how this display works??
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

Simple, submerge tank in the water until it's full. Turn the tank upside down while in the water and place on the brick without allowing any air to enter under the the edge of the tank. Do it in you sink with a glass so you will understand the concept first. Also if you do it with a fish tank, remember it will be heavy so make sure you have some help. Just saying.

Ah-ha! The power of a vacuum. Water weighs about 8 1/2 lbs per gallon, so if that was a 50 gal. tank, it would weigh about 425 lbs. once raised out of the water.

You might want to make sure a tank can take that kind of vacuum. Most of the tanks I have seen were set up for pressure and not vacuum. The glass my implode in there is nothing to support the seams but adhesive, like most tanks are. The newer acrylic tanks with no seams would do the trick.
    Last edited by karleber; 07-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Good point. Not just any tank would work.

I would venture to guess that rather than filling the tank and flipping it under water that they might have instead sucked the air out of the tank in the position it's already in.

If you want to try doing this, take a glass or jar and put it in the sink upside down. Making sure you keep the rim of the glass under water, slide a flexible straw or piece of tubing inside the glass making sure the tubing is above water. Now just inhale on the tubing and watch the water come up inside the glass.

To get the water to stay in you'll need to pull the straw out of the glass before pulling from your mouth.

If you put a shop vac hose inside the upside down tank you could just do this till it started pumping water, I would think.

Now, who else was wondering how long those Koi would last rigged on a quick strike rig?

They sure do have some nice color patterns...Maybe a whole lot cheaper then suckers ???

Some koi cost hundreds of dollars so I don't think they'd be cheap enough to use as live bait - if they'd even be legal. But I agree they have nice patterns...sorta reminds me of a sherbet BullDawg.