Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big accidental musky

You guys need a longer handle net with a bigger hoop, the Detroit River has a to of big walleyes in the spring and you never know what you are going to catch as you found out. You are leaning over to net your fishing, with the number of boats that use the river you are liable to be leaning over to net a fish and be swamped by a passing boat.

BOB

I for one want to thank you for releasing it and not killing it. We've all been there when you catch a fish that you weren't targeting. Proper tools for musky fishing NO, but for walleye I'm sure they were. Its a nice catch and I just appreciate that it went back in the water and not on the wall. Thanks for sharing.

Musky have to be 42" in Michigan.

BOB

Quote Originally Posted by voice_of_reason View Post
    Clearly my reason for disliking the video was lost on some.

I dont like seeing nice fish flipping around in the bottom of a boat.

I get that the guy wasn't targeting them, and that's why he didn't have the proper tools, but it still sucks to see a video of it, in my opinion.
    Sooooo would you rather us keep the fish over the side to release it and take the risk of breaking off a 4 ounce weight in the fishes mouth (ultimately killing it slowly) and taking on the risk of a freighter wave or another boats wave knocking us over the side of our small boat?

I dont like seeing fish flop either but use common sense! NO fishes life is more important than mine or yours

Human safety before fish safety

Nice job guys!!! I like this video. For not having a large net these guys did a very good job getting that fish back to the water. All of us catch and release guys should be happy they made a good effort to unhook and release the fish quickly. Sure it wasn't a textbook release but all of us have had difficulties at some point releasing a musky. Ive seen plenty muskies flopping around in judge boats at tournaments that looked way worse than this. And those guys are suppose to be "pros". No harm was done here and nobody should say anything bad about these guys. They did us a service by doing their best to release a nice musky. Way to go guys!!!!

I bet the next time these guys catch something "different for them" (sturgeon?) they won't post any cool videos on this or any other 'ski website. Too bad the "holier than thou" types have to ruin it for the rest of us!

Seriously?* You seem to be getting quite defensive...

First of all, i didn’t say you were just inexperienced and too immature to understand and admit that you handled the situation poorly, I merely stated that i did not enjoy the video and then I, quite gently to be honest, explained why.

Now, since a few of you seem a bit butt-hurt about it, lets look at this in a bit more detail...

Fearing for your safety, eh?* Your life was hanging in the balance I imagine!* You make it sound like your partner would have to hang you over the gunnel by your ankles in shark infested waters with 20’ seas.* Gimmie a break!

If you truly feel it is as threatening as you are implying to reach over the gunnel to unhook or at least properly grab a fish in a 16’ aluminum fishing boat in those conditions, perhaps you are in the wrong boat or shouldn’t be out in unsafe conditions??* Maybe even toss on a pfd?* Safety first, right?* Of course, unless you are on crutches, or have never been in a boat before, your safety justification is pure hyperbole in those conditions.

In terms of proper equipment, the boat is clearly rigged for fishing.* While I didn’t hammer you about this, perhaps in hindsight you can see that you were unprepared and the boat you were in was not equipped well for what you were doing.* Is it that big a stretch that one may catch a muskie while walleye fishing?* You knew they were there, you pegged it as a ski the second you hooked into it.* It shouldn’t have been that big a shock.* Next time, go more prepared, especially if you are in boat that is such a high risk vessel that so limits your ability to move...

You may also want to look into properly supporting a fish when holding it assuming you are going to release it.* Lots of good information on this site and others that can teach you how to do this.* Rather than spout off that you did the best you can under threat of life and limb, maybe you need to consider that you could have done things better, despite the harrowing conditions, and learn for the next time it happens.

For all you saying things like ‘nice quick release’, ‘no harm done’, have you seen a different vid?* All I see is the edited one posted in the thread.* I would have enjoyed the vid more if I actually saw the fish back in the water swimming away.* Why would you cut that part out?

Nice fish though

Double post

VOR

Are you an MI member?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter4 View Post
    VOR

Are you an MI member?
    It would seem obvious that they are a member. It empowers you to act on behalf of the fish against the angler. H