Thread: Emergency Ladder Safety Issue

Emergency Ladder Safety Issue

Well, I am about just the last person on earth to ever find fault with a Ranger boat, have been an almost "shameless" promoter....but I do have an issue with the emergency ladder. It was a week ago last Thursday, I just HAD to prove to myself that Pewaukee was shot with high temps and so there I was out on water too hot to fish and decided the best way to make something of the day was jump in the lake...and between my swimming suit and my cooler--I did have a great time but, when it was time to climb back in, I found that the chain that holds the pin to release the ladder had become tangled and locked up in a manner that made it just about impossible to untangle enough to pull the pin and lower the ladder. Now, it was sunny and warm, the water was about 83, I was comfortable in swim trunks and I worked and worked with all sorts of patience and YES, I did get enough tangle out to pull the pin and climb my fat butt back in the boat. But, it is an EMERGENCY ladder, and let me say, "God help you, if it were an emergency" in mid October in freezing water and a ton of clothes on. Last Friday morning I was chatting up a local guide on North Twin who also had a 620 and I noticed the same tangle on his chain. Anyway, here is my challenge to you: Check your ladder and see if you can pull the pin or not. If you can't....make a change in the way it is secured!

Thanks for the tip, Marty. I'll check my boat's chain.

Two things:

1. Last week a guy was filming some underwater footage for me and climbed into the boat using the ladder without pulling the pin. He just climbed up it.

2. If you're ever in an emergency situation (particularly in the fall), hang onto the back of your outboard and use the trim/tilt button on the side to lift you out of the water and forward toward the back of your boat. Thankfully I've never had to try doing this, but this has saved others.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Way to rub in the effects of age and fattness Steve....your camerman is, no doubt, younger and fitter than I am. My leg will not offer the nimbleness nor the length to reach the higher step. Needing a knee replacement is of no help either. At any rate, you will see that type of chain used is not the one they should have chosen!