Thread: Help with making own bucktails

Help with making own bucktails

The flashaboo skirts I am using are geting tangled up with the top hook right below the blades on the bucktail. Blades are running great. It tends to ball up on retrieve not giving the long sleek look to the skirt. I am following the double cowgirl design. Does anyone have any modification ideas? Will trimming the top part of the skirts help?

Try adding beads to separate the blades more from the skirt. I have found that the blades create a wake that sucks the flashabou forward. Some people like this and swear that the swirling flashabou is an attractant. In contrast, I prefer a slim look to the flashabou. So, I add a little space between the blades and the skirt. This change will reduce the swirling and therefore the tangling of the flashabou with the hook.

The other thing you can do is squeeze/kink the flashabou with pliers to create a fold--causing the flashabou to lay flat. I don't thing trimming the skirt will help--it might make it worse.

Brian

Mitch,

I can't claim this idea (I believe it was Bob Turgeon who provided a tip in the magazine). Anyway, get some shrink tube that will fit over the hook eye and shrink it to the hook shaft as far down the hook shaft as you can get it. The problem you described was an issue for me before I started modifying my top treble the "Turgeon" way. The shrink tube stops the flashaboo from lodging in the treble.

Thanks Bob!

Jordan

Jordan

I've had problems too with the stuff that's like tinsel. I got some stuff at R&H (also where I got the tinsel stuff) that's more flexible and doesn't kink. I'd say it's the material... not your workmanship.

There are three distinct challenges to overcome with the "traditional" Musky Mayhem version of the "girls." One is the need to often "kick start" the spin, two is the often more difficult toss into the breeze than can result in a busted cast, and three is the way the tinsel ultimately tangles in the top 7-0 treble. They are all problems you will not encounter with a good-ole "Musky Killer" other single hook blades or a lot of the twin-blade competition. For me, however, it's that top 7-0 tangling treble hook that simply "makes" the bait. It's not the hook that gets the figure eight fish, but it's the one that often totally locks shut the mouth of a fish that bites well away from the boat. I re-build them every time a fish bends the wire using the 60 cent replacement wires you can buy at R&H and every time I do, I think...maybe I'll get rid of the stuff that tangles in that hook...and then I think, you could also draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa!
    Last edited by junkman; 06-27-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: fixed spelling

Weeks has the fix, shrink wrap tubing and problem solved. Also, use the mag flashabou and not the pube stuff. Saltwater bou is even better, but not much value.

Little Arbor Vitae Lake, Arbor Vitae, WI.
    Been making my own double 10's for many years. Leudke hit on the answer to your problem - Magnum or Saltwater Flashabou. Original Flashabou is just too thin.

My vote is for saltwater flashabou, too.

Thanks everyone.

I was messing around this morning and I put a piece of electrical tape around the treble by the blades attaching it to the shaft. Looks like this is a quick fix.

Question: Do you think this will that cause problems on the hook set?