Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Lures

Trolling Lures

A while back, I went out musky fishing for the first time and got pretty lucky. I landed a nice 42 incher that weighed 17.5 pounds while trolling the biggest crankbait I had. I'm definitely hooked for life. Only problem is that I barely know anything about fishing for musky. What kind of lures are you guys using to troll for them? I need to pick some up so I can catch some more!

I would read Jim Saric's books and/or articles on trolling. There's a lot to it. Your baits are going to be determined by running depth, water clarity, running speed, lake forage, time of year, water temps, etc.

My best trolling lures are 10" jointed believers and 10" jakes. I've also had success with triple d's and shallow invaders. My best color is firetiger, followed by black then walleye. I don't troll much (about 90% casting) but I am starting to do more and more and I am starting to try big 12-16 inch crankbaits. Keep in mind I fish Georgian Bay where the average musky is probably over 45"

Andrew

Yes, a host of variables to contend with and certain lakes have their idiosyncracies. That said... I like Hookers, Reef Diggers, some Grandma's, and have recently added some Slammers.

trolling lures

We trolled the 6" Baby Depth Raiders this year with success. Jointed Fire Tiger, and the shiny silver one with the bright blue back both caught fish. Also caught one trolling an X-rap. We fish smaller baits a lot.

Jim Saric did a show or two last season trolling those Depth Raiders. I'd definitely watch those episodes to get a little feel for the power of trolling.

good luck!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by haldermand View Post
    A while back, I went out musky fishing for the first time and got pretty lucky. I landed a nice 42 incher that weighed 17.5 pounds while trolling the biggest crankbait I had. I'm definitely hooked for life. Only problem is that I barely know anything about fishing for musky. What kind of lures are you guys using to troll for them? I need to pick some up so I can catch some more!

Alot of times when I fish Lake of the Woods, I will troll when moving from spot to spot if they are fairly close together. Don't be afraid to use a bucktail to troll. I got a 51.5 fish two years ago while fishing LOTW.

BOB

So many good lures to troll. I've caught fish on Believers, Shallow Raiders, Rad Dogs, Cyco Spins, Big Games, Slammers, Jakes, Funky Chickens, Grandmas... It's fun using multiple lines to find a pattern & replicate it.

Lots of choices. For shallow trolling the Easterners would tell you you cannot beat the 5.5" or 6.5" Wiley. It is not cheap; but it is productive. I also like the 6" Jake for this. Mid-depth, Believers, 6", 7", or 8". Deeper, 8" Jake, 6" or 8" Depthraiders. But there are lots more.

Check out the Muskie Train line of crankbaits. The biggest fish in my boat the last 3 years have all been on them. Yesterday we put a 48" and a 49.5"in the boat on MuskieTrain mx6's on St. Clair
    Good luck
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com

Sometimes big lures work great, sometimes they suck and a small version of the same lure gets pounded. Don't get locked into one size.

Each lure has it's purpose. You'll eventually need lures that run fast, slow, deep, shallow, wide loose wobblers, tight fast wobblers and different colors/ sizes of each. Lots to aquire to cover all the bases but that's part of the fun. Buy a couple to start with, learn what they do well and what they don't do so well. Then you can buy the next lures to do what the first ones won't. If you get too many at once you'll never learn all they can do because you'll be too busy switching lures to find out.

Believers and Jakes are bread and butter trolling lures and they are versatile for covering different depths.

You can always make a deeper runner run shallower by adjusting the length of line out, but you can't make a shallow runner work deep without hanging on a lump of lead. The simpler your presentation the better.

Tune the lures so they run straight at the very fastest speeds they can run without blowing out. That's important as you want to be able to depend on the depth they run with a certain amount of line out. Bend the lure eye in the direction you want the lure to run, and if that isn't enough, bend the hook hangers in the opposite direction to tune. A little bending goes a long way so always small increments and then test the lure before bending more.

Take your baitcaster and pull line off till the line is at one side of the spool or the other. Mark the line with some tape or whatever at the rod tip. Pull off line until it travels across the spool and back to the starting point. Measure the length of line from the rod tip to your marker. Now that you know how much line went out, it's easy to let out any amount you want to adjust lure depth. Keep track of line out so when you catch a fish you can return the lure to the same depth. If you have more than one brand of reel do it for all of them.

Just some of the basic stuff musky trollers do to make it all work better. Good luck!