Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glide Bait Side to Side Distance

Glide Bait Side to Side Distance

Hi,

Just curious to see if there is a glide bait out there that gives exceptional distance moving side to side. My favorites are the Hellhound and the Manta but I suspect that there are others. Does anyone use a special technique or modification to obtain greater distance? What is your best side glide length to date? Suspect some of the responses could be quite interesting.

jim

Well, the wide glide claims that it should glide side to side up to 8' but I never mastered even 8" I'm not the only one who was disappointed with that bait.

I like the warlock, it does a good side to side that I can do with just cranking my hi speed reel half cranks, much easier for me than jerking the rod all day. I am 69 yrs. old so I need things a little easier.
    Mike

Controlled slack line and stiff wire leaders are the keys to glide distance.

The most I've ever been able to get from a glider was a Reef Hawg (the Green Weenie ... may it RIP) that would glide about six feet to the left if I hit it right and it was at perfect buoyancy. It would go about three feet to the right, but the left swing was incredible.

Jim Saric and I were filming a jerkbait segment for his video, Muskies At The Next Level, and were watching the Green Weenie complete one of its 6-foot swings when a musky T-boned it while launching itself out of the water. The fish landed almost in the boat and right at the feet of the cameraman, who unfortunately was not rolling tape. In the video, the fight segment begins with me trying to pull the fish out from under the boat. This remains one of the most amazing strikes I've ever had with any bait ... had the camera guy been following the bait at the moment, the footage would have been unbelievable.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

10 inch hughes rivers 'May the whole company RIP" were like little remote control submarines with their glide

My best glide baits fish catching-wise have been Strikers but they only give you about 3-4 foot glides at best. I wouldn't really call Reef Hawgs true gliders as they have up/downs too, but I have one 8" model I weighted just past neutral that will rip 5 feet to the left side once in a while if you hit it just right.

The question is begging to be asked, does distance of glide really mean more fish will hit the lure? Then how do you expain a lure like a Jackpot that triggers by dancing back and forth almost in one spot instead of doing the wider bubble blurping glides that seem to encourage follows?

Cigar shaped gliders displace less water as they move. My best have been the 8" hr hueys. Weighting to can make some gliders that are not cigar shaped run well too like my 8" H2o Nitro.

Pearson Wide Glide is supposed to go pretty far. I haven't bought one yet to try.

How about TutmoilX by Bikini Baits ?

I'm pretty sure Hughes Rivers are still being made and sold, perhaps just locally but I ran into Jim a couple months ago while he was restocking at Hornbecks.

I get some really good distance with Gene's Wyde Glydes, Hornbecks sells them, too. Mr. Richardson's been making them for far longer than the similarly-named baits mentioned, above. m

ps - I HATE jerkbaits, and that goes for glide baits, too! If I didn't own 80 of them, I might not use them at all. They will raise fish that no other baits will, who will follow, strike, miss, strike, miss, ......grrr!