Thread: Big Bucktail Reel Question - Line Retrieved Per Crank

Big Bucktail Reel Question - Line Retrieved Per Crank

I realize there has been numerous posts about which reel to use for big bucktails, so forgive me if this has been answered before.

My question deals with the amount of line retrieved per each turn of the reel handle as it relates to burning big bucktails. There is a huge difference in the amount of line retrieved between the level wind reels listed below that have been mentioned by posters as reels for this purpose. With a Toro Winch, 1420/1430 or Tekota you would have to reel twice as fast to move the bait at the same speed as the 6.4:1 Saltist 40. Reeling twice as fast should wear a person down quicker.

If these reels all pull the big bucktails better than the reels that most of us use for "Normal" Muskie baits, what advantage would a 22" to 25" per turn be as opposed to 35" to 47" or vice versa?

No offense to anyone, but I would like to only hear from those that throw the big bucktails on a regular basis and truly know the difference between the 22" to 25" and 35" to 47" per turn reels.

ABU Toro Winch
    4.6:1 23" (Estimated)

ABU Toro
    5.4:1 26"

Daiwa Saltist 30
    6.1:1 35"

Daiwa Saltist 40
    6.4:1 47"
    4.9:1 36"

Shinano Tekota 300/500
    4.2:1 25"

Quantum 1420/1430
    5.1:1 22"

Quantum Cabo 20/30
    5.7:1 27"

RE: Big Bucktail Reel Question - Line Retrieved Per Crank

It isn't the number of turns that wears you out. It's the torque required to make those turns.
    That's why a 6.X:1 on a small reel like a Curado DSV is useless for double 10s vs a 4.x:1 on something else (Like an Abu 7000, which also has a larger spool). The torque generated and effort required on the small high speed reel will put an end to you in very short order.

Some of those other larger 6.X ratio saltwater reels are working out because they are basically gigantic reels with gigantic spools and pick up way more line with slower turning. However, holding a reel that big is going to wear your ##### out too.

I have Shimano Trinidads for this task! I own models TN12 and TN14. They both reel in 36" of line per crank effortlessly! They are NOT large and bulky! They cast like a dream. No levelwind and manual engage were only an issue for the first 20 min. The rest has been gravy! The only drawback is the price. I know they will last forever though. Double 10's and 12's are never going to be cake but these reels really make it a lot easier! When the time comes to burn them in, you get what you pay for! My .02

The Toro's and Quantum's are small compared to the others. How do they compare against the larger saltwater reels, or should they not be considered for this application?

how do you deal with no levelwind? I have a new saltist 50 and 47" per crank is amazing but the thing weights 25 OZ! It's just too big to handle, but the levelwind (and price $160) is nice!

When spooling up a reel with no level wind, it's important to fill the spool 1/8 inch short of full. Sometimes the line will stack up on one side or the other.