Thread: new rod and reel

Cedar Rapids Iowa although spend a lot of time at the cabin in Rusk co WI

new rod and reel

Sorry this is a re-post, put it in the wrong spot the first time.

Hey guys, new to the forum.
    I have fished musky for several years mostly with a collection of gear I got from my uncle. I am looking to add a long rod to my set up. This will be used mainly for 9 and 10 inch suicks.
    I heard TI is coming out with a 2 piece 9 footer (two piece is critical to me at the moment) and I am trying to find a reel to go with it for around $200 (although can go higher if it is worth it). What reel should I get I was thinking a calcuta 400b but am open to options.
    For a set up mainly used for suicks do I want a higher gear ratio?

Can't go wrong with the Calcutta, and matched with the 9' TI, would make a formidable combo.

Don't know exactly how high of a gear ratio you are looking for but for a little more money then the calcutta b you should consider the diawa luna 300. It is a lot more real for a little more money.

I fish Suicks quite often and it doesn't really matter to me if it is a standard retrieve or a high speed retrieve. I just would'nt care to use a reel geared for very slow retrieve speeds. My normal reel for Suicks is a 7000C which is only 4.7:1, but it has a big spool so it puts it back in the range of 5:1. I've used a C4 too and while it's OK it doesn't do anything special I can't do with the other reels.

What is mind boggling to me is why you would want a long rod to fish Suicks. I fish with the rod straight down and just use wrist snaps. With rod's longer than my 6'9" jerk bait setups I just splash water all over the place every time I snap my wrist to move the bait. The farther away from vertical you have the rod, the greater the arc you need to scribe with the rod tip in order to move the lure the same distance. Do you fish the Suicks with the rod straight out to the side? If so, how do you get in position to set the hook? Just call me curious, as I may be missing the boat on this topic.

Bloodhound,

email me and I will let you know when the new 2-piece rods are in. I have gotten a lot of requests for this rod. Nothing like having a 9' musky rod on your trip but only having to take a 4.5' tube on the plane. Testing on this rod went very well too.
    email me at: james@tackleindustries.com
    James
    Say "Thank You" to a Veteran with a donation:
    http://www.operationmuskie.com
    Tackle Industries:
    http://www.tackleindustries.com

Cedar Rapids Iowa although spend a lot of time at the cabin in Rusk co WI
    JEM, I am really not positive that a 9 footer will work for a suick. Right now I have an old 6 foot jerk bait rod and a 6.5 foot bucktail rod. I keep hearing how many people are using long rods for everything and liking them. I have used my 7.5 foot bass rod for 7 inch suicks with no problem.

I use a 8 foot rod for most jerk baits, but many guys like a 7 1/2 or shorter. I use 9 foot rods for many other applications, and have used them for jerk baits, but you definitely have to use a different rod motion.

I highly recommend a high-speed retrieve reel, such as a Revo Toro Model 50 or 60 HS, which have a 6.4:1 gear ratio. Otherwise, a Garcia C4 would provide similar retrieve at a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
    JEM, I am really not positive that a 9 footer will work for a suick. Right now I have an old 6 foot jerk bait rod and a 6.5 foot bucktail rod. I keep hearing how many people are using long rods for everything and liking them. I have used my 7.5 foot bass rod for 7 inch suicks with no problem.

It depends on the action of the 9-footer whether a Suick can be worked with it or not. I'm not familiar with TI rods but use St. Croix's Big Nasty, and it's excellent with Suicks.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com