Thread: Little Vermillion or Lac Seul Sioux Lookout Ontario?

Little Vermillion or Lac Seul Sioux Lookout Ontario?

The lake I fish the end of June doesn't have Musky. (Lake Minnitaki). From the map it looks like Vermillion Lake and Lac Seul are both relatively close. I can't find alot of information on Vermillion. Which one would you choose for a Day Trip in Late June?

Since when did they take the muskies out of Minnitaki? Just because there aren't a lot of them, or it isn't talked about doesn't mean there aren't any. English River has 'em from Lac Seul upstream. Those fish can migrate as far upstream as they want to. I caught a musky twenty five years ago in Minnitaki while fishing trout and I'll bet there are more around and some darn big ones if you have the patience to look for them. Same thing for muskies in Lac Seul. I was getting some by accident, fishing pike in May, 30 years ago in the SW part of the lake, a long way from where the "limited" population was supposed to be.

Vermilion has muskies. So does Little Vermilion and it's connected lakes, probably the most advertised lakes besides Lac Seul. Abram, Pelican, Botsford, and on and on all have muskies. All I can say is it takes a lot of time to learn the water so if you think you can do a one day trip and score, good luck with that. Counting Lac Seul, you are talking about close to 1/2 million acres of water and none of it has an abundant population of muskies.

I'd choose the one I could get a guide for, if I only had one day. Otherwise, just toss a dart and hope. Be darn sure you read the regulations CAREFULLY, especially the specific regulations for each lake after the general restrictions. The number of refuges, the dates of closures/openings, size and other restrictions on some of those lakes can be mind numbing and each lake seems to have it's own quirks.

I haven't heard of anyone catching one in the last 10 years. Been going up for 6 years and caught some huge pike but no Muskies.

Fished them both and Lac Seul is your best bet Big V and Little V are very low density with much more pike action

I have fished them both and pulled musky out of both as well and think they are different bodies all together. YOu can find them in either of the "v's" but the size is no where near as big as Lac Soule. Lac Seul is a true Musky lake with a legitimate chance for a 50+ inch fish. The V's have low pressure and good structure but your will be hard pressed to pull a fish over 44-46 inch out with most sub 40,

The outfitter just told be about 2 lakes on the Vermillion Chain that are sanctuary's. Single hook lures with no barbs, catcha nd release only. Supposedly awesome numbers of pike, musky, and tiger musky. Sounds like a great place for a rookie to catch a couple.
    hooch and Mokskunonge are the names...not sure on the spelling.

Maskinonge - Hooch - Cloudlet are the lakes. Maskinonge is connected via a creek to Little V which is a wild ride. I have fished before clear water, very clear water. For some reason natual colors did not work however black and orange was the bait the fish ate. Also small little rubber baits are killer. Also some giant smallmouth but tough to catch. Hope you have a good time.

PS .. Watch for musky in the creek on the edge of th weeds.

Def. would not suggest Lac Seul for a day trip....It's a great body of water but as mentioned, there's a ton of water and not a lot of fish in the system. You would be better off doing the Little V thing in my opinion for only a day trip

hey smbricker, I fish Little V every year. If you have only one day, it might be the right-sized lake for you. Lac Seul is too big and scary. Little V (and the sanctuary lakes Maskinonge, Hooch) are fairly easy to get around. A couple of dangerous reefs in Little V; drop me a line if you decide to go there.

Size-wise, the fish in Little Vermilion will average small, mid 30s, upper 30s. Only ever raised one 50" class fish in 10 years. But I do feel the lake is fairly doable to fish with a day, and you'll probably catch a muskie. Just put on a Mepps #5 or throw a 6" twister tail. That's what I do

For the record I've never fished either Big Vermilion or Lac Seul. But I've fished Little Vermilion, Closs, Cedarbough (my favorite lake in the system), Hooch, and Maskinonge. Caught muskies in all. On a good day Cedarbaugh is best.

Have fun!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by smbrickner View Post
    The lake I fish the end of June doesn't have Musky. (Lake Minnitaki). From the map it looks like Vermillion Lake and Lac Seul are both relatively close. I can't find alot of information on Vermillion. Which one would you choose for a Day Trip in Late June?