Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Re-defining LEGAL

Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    To those of you that count "every fish"...... I can add this to my total????? :-)

/m

Even the smallest fish can tell you something ... this one told me it might be best to go home and cut the lawn. I said "If I can't catch one on this Suick then we aren't going to catch any today," and this .... um, "giant" bit a cast or two later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steve-dink.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	292  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks Otto for making me feel a little better about this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby musky.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	293  

Hey Pete,

Who are you kidding with this. Look how you are holding out that fish away from your body. Anything to make them look bigger I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    Even the smallest fish can tell you something ... this one told me it might be best to go home and cut the lawn. I said "If I can't catch one on this Suick then we aren't going to catch any today," and this .... um, "giant" bit a cast or two later.
    Absolutely! Besides loving the attitude of "junior" in the pic, about 30 minutes later on the same lake, with the same spinner I moved a near 50" on a secondary spot. Couldn't get her to go, but validated the value of the secondary spot and that spinner was the answer for the following day as well.

/m

A couple years ago I dropped the word legal from my "fish vocabulary". I simple state the length, plus 4 to 16 inches, depending on how big the fish really measured. Any muskies over 30" (actual, not what I tell anybody not in the boat when I caught it) gets recorded in the MI lunge Log. Like Marty, they all go back into the water with the possible exception of the world record waiting for me this summer. LOL

Caught my PB yesterday evening throwing a rapala for walleyes. 48" and very thick. Was it "legal" ? No - season isn't open in northern WI yet.

Does this disqualify the fish as my PB ? Absolutely not. It's still the best musky I've landed.

By the way, getting this fish on walleye gear and 6lb test really has me appreciating my musky setups and Frabill Kahuna !

Quote Originally Posted by dfkiii View Post
    Caught my PB yesterday evening throwing a rapala for walleyes. 48" and very thick. Was it "legal" ? No - season isn't open in northern WI yet.

Does this disqualify the fish as my PB ? Absolutely not. It's still the best musky I've landed.

By the way, getting this fish on walleye gear and 6lb test really has me appreciating my musky setups and Frabill Kahuna !

I did the exact same thing about a decade or so ago -- 48" on a Rapala, walleye gear, and 6-pound test a couple days before the northern WI musky opener -- so I know what you accomplished. For me, it was 15 minutes of hanging on and praying until the fish was in the net. The fact that it wasn't "legal" did not diminish the catch for me, and I'm glad you're thrilled with yours. Congrats!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman View Post
    I guess it's no different than before. Legal is legal depending on your location. How you define a good sized fish is up to you. The older I get the less I care about fish size and increasingly just enjoying the experience of the event. Of course a large fish is always a treat but every one that comes in the net is a "victory".
    Agree 100%....The catching is the bonus

Every Musky is a good Musky. I take a picture of every Musky.

My first Musky, after chasing them for over 2 years, was caught while I was "paddle trolling" in a canoe. He was a "boot and a half" in length, about 18-20". He wasn't legal, but the most beautiful fish I had ever seen. I'm not sure where the pictures are anymore...but that made me very happy.

My first fish over 40"...(that's a major thresh hold for me, is over 40").. That was on par with my first fish ever. That fish started my wife believing that it was good for me to catch fish....I'm happy for months after something like that! He was 41 1/2", but he wasn't legal. In Canada before the season was open.

My first 50"....wasn't legal. In Canada on LOTW...would've needed to be 54 or 55, I think. That's ok with me, a 51" Musky is good no matter what. I've got a beautiful Lax replica on the wall.

My best Wisconsin fish was legal! A fat 46" that was the first one I caught in my own boat, without anybody smarter than me along.... Had my young son with me, first fish caught with a family member along, first fish casting, first fish in my own boat.

I still take pics of 18" Musky, though. The coloring is so distinct on the smaller ones...
    Vacation rental at Lake of the Falls/Turtle-Flambeau Flowage...
    www.havenbythefalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Haven...16168151750320