Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-defining LEGAL

I always try and convince casual musky anglers the legal limit for muskies is simply a number to consider if you want to keep a fish. Muskies are a trophy species with more than 90% being released therefore length limits are one management tool to help muskies reach full potential and thrive in a fishery. Lakes with larger size limits are designed to
    help produce larger muskies.

OK, I guess I need to elaborate just a tad on what I was trying to do. As a guy who mostly fished Wisconsin water where 34 inches was the most used limit, I gradually decided (FOR MYSELF) that a 34 inch fish was a fish I was going to count PERSONALLY as a caught and counted fish. Anything less was a "short" and at the end of the day I counted myself to have not caught a musky. Again, this was FOR ME and my own personal way of keeping track. When I started the thread, I was just sort of looking to see if others had similar habits and what they were going to do now. Honestly, so far, I think I am going to keep my own personal rules on this and ignore the new limit cuz they are all going back except for the new world record.

I've known a lot of guys over the years that don't count fish under 34 inches, it never made sense to me. if i catch a musky i count it. if it's 25 inches I say "i caught a small one" like Jim Saric said, most are released anyway. if I catch one I count it. although i rarely measrue them anymore or even keep track of what I catch in a given year, so really I guess I don't count it. I just make mention of it based on the results for that particular day. it ain't about keeping track or even measuring them, it's about getting out and enjoying the day. heck i got blown off the water on Sunday and the best part of that day was sitting in the back of my truck waiting the storm out sharing some food with my dog. (he didn't get any of my beer)

StormyK

I count all for the year and then roughly look at the % that was legal vs the total. The few years where all were legals (34") are history, but who cares? Total at the end of year shows my success rate vs previous yr's numbers if I'm getting better and catching more, size doesn't matter guys, LOL! What, where, when, lure, water temps are what's documented with length being the least important part of the data. Getting better numbers, learning, and hoping for a new personal best makes my goal each year.

I go with 30 inches.I think thats hard enough sometimes.0723

Keep track of them all regardless of what is legal or not. Afterall whether it's a 26 incher or a 56 incher it provides you information on the catch and the water.

How you decide to analyze the data, judge your success is your own opinion. As painful as it may seem at the time keeping track of all of your fish caught and the data around the catches really can make a difference in the long run.

I'm like Jim. I will keep track of everything that hits the net. Now, being a MI member if its not 30 inches than I don't bother with a whole bunch of detail in my notes. Just the lake, time and water temp. No picture either and where I can get away with it I'll water release without handling it at all. Any fish below forty that is caught will be released without a photo. Now 40" will get a picture and a whole lot of details in my notes. The devil is in the details or so I've been told.

So how do you guys count fish caught trolling? does the guy driving get to count the fish or just the guy reeling it in?
    "Hey what did I ever do to you?"

To those of you that count "every fish"...... I can add this to my total????? :-)

/m
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Record at 3 Lakes 09-2011.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	291  

Otto somethng that small should count twice. What a great picture.