Thread: new lure

new lure

I am tinkering around putting together a globe bucktail combination Lure. I have some of the bucktail thumper combinations but as far as I know no one seems to ever combine the globe with the bucktail. I am mounting the head off center so it has an eccentric spin which should produce a good deep vibration and being coupled with the bucktail it should produce less of a surface splash which I think the muskies on the Chippewa Flowage have gotten pretty accustomed to. Going with gold and greens to mimic the crappie colors, lots of them in the flowage. Any one have any thoughts on this?

initially I was going to silver solder the wire closed but after getting a good flux had great looking joints they still failed my pull as hard as you can parachute cord test, will be going back to closing the eyes with 3 turns instead. Initial water test did give me a good rythmic throb in the rod almost like a spinner bait only it was on the top. sounded good so far and cast well. tied the hair to look like the profile of a fish with dark back, lighter sides with some green and white bottom, course hard to say which color will be up but it should have nice contrast with a flash of white top or bottom.

Where are the pics?

here is a pic of my lure, have found with the bucktail coils etc it is a little heavy, sinks slowly, am going to put a closed cell foam sleave over the split ring junction will keep it straight and non fouling like a shrink tube would, tried it in the got tub and thats all it should take.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec-Feb2011 002.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec-Feb2011 0013.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	284  
    Last edited by deantre; 04-25-2012 at 11:59 AM.

You'll find the hookups to be quite a bit better than a std globe.....all hooks and hair. Flashaboo works nicely as well. I have made a couple like it, I ran straight wire thru like a DGC and used plastic beads instead of metal to reduce weight. One shrink tubed rear hook and one hanging up front. More of a speed than slow bait due to the lack of bouancy

Three wraps of bucktail wire and you will be good to go
    Last edited by B Turg; 04-23-2012 at 09:42 AM.

found it to be a bit less than neutral bouyant, then got an idea, will use some heavy wall plastic tubing filled with a bit of Gorilla Glue which will fill it with a closed cell foam and tye my bucktail on it instead of the coils. Should make it very close to bouyant if not a floater. will keep you posted Dean

Interesting idea with the Gorilla Glue, let us know how it works out...that could have many applications.

The plastic tubing from a pick up in a spray bottle filled with a dribble of gorilla glue worked great. The glue filled the tube with a foam, then I pushed the wire through it sealing the ends with the gorilla glue. Then I cleaned it up and tied my bucktail on it. I made the tail pretty thick and assembled it to the globe head and it floats well. Have a really good feeling about this lure, can't wait to get on the Chip to break it in. Dean

Great idea and execution. Garage innovation at it's best.