Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Fishing Licence??

National Fishing Licence??

I posted this last year and got almost no feedback. I am doing it just one more time to see if anybody else thinks like me. As I leave tomorrow for another trip, I figured that I was shopping online for the seventh of what is likely to be eight or nine different state fishing licences. My preference would be to buy a national licence that was good everywhere. I would also envision the money from that licence paying for stuff that was more national in nature as far as wildlife preservation, protecting access to lakes, and more national issues. Plus, it would be sort of cool to have that sort of licence. Any thoughts??

It's a shame that a fishing license doesn't work the same way as your drivers license. The money payed for that license stays in the state where it is purchased, but you are valid where ever you go.
    Last edited by TerryRitter; 04-24-2012 at 11:51 AM.

As much as it would definitely simplify things, if the money was earmarked for things that are "national in nature," now you're giving money to the federal government.

Think about that for a moment.

Our WDNR fisheries crews' salaries come from license sales. I would hate to see their salaries reduced or the numbers of employees cut because sales of a national license meant fewer sales of Wisconsin licenses.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Works for me. We could have national regulations too so all seasons, restrictions and limits would be the same all over, no more confusion. We could give them say, $500 a year for the license. $350 to cover administration costs, $100 for national projects, like building a bridge over a swamp so Senator Gotrocks' nephew doesn't have so far to go to get to the liquor store, $50 for research into making the program better, and $250 to cover legal fees/challenges/emergency regulation changes and such. It would be a bargain at only 33% more cost than money to pay for it. Heck yeah, let's go for it!

I empathize but like that the fees I pay go to the state I'm fishing. What Steve said.

The FBI could do creel census

Yeah, just what we need is more involvement by the federal government b/c they aren't involved in screwing up enough things now.

I guess I must be missing why a federal bureaucrat would be any worse than a state bureaucrat. They both have the same tee-shirt that says, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help!" I still think it would be way-cool to have a US fishing licence, maybe a US Angler logo for the truck and boat. I think if you buy even two or three out of state permits besides your home water, you could pay over a hundred dollars for such a permit and be money ahead. I really can sort of see the logo in my head with a red, white and blue pattern, then special edition US Angler Ford Pick-ups all tricked out, sweat-shirts, key chains, thongs, ...the works!!

At one time there was talk of a Great Lakes license. However that fell through, I believe the big sticking point is getting every state to agree on investing the same amount of money towards stocking fish. I pay for my illinois license and pay for my indiana license to salmon fish. The difference in fishing between indiana and illinois is like night and day. salmon and steelhead around the creeks in summer spring and fall. Tons monster jumbo perch only 100 yards from shore. It's better managed than illinois. Unless everyone agrees to the same stipulations, managment, and fry stocking it will never be agreed upon.

mike

It would be convenient for us to have a national license, but probably not the best thing for individual state fisheries. How would the money generated from the license sales be allocated to each state and used for the fisheries? You fish 2, 3, 4 or 10 states each year, but your money is being shared somehow with all 50 states I'd guess. I'd rather my money go to help stock and manage the fisheries in the places I fish. I understand the federal goverment now provides money to each state for every fishing license sold. A problem in Illinois right now is that the money generated from fishing and hunting licenses goes into one big pot and is allocated in an unequitable manner. The chief state fisheries biologist in IL has expressed the most important issue for them now is to change the law so the fisheries department gets it's fair share. They have asked IL fisherman to contact their local state senator or representative and ask they sponsor or support legislation to change the law. Fishing license sales have increased every year, yet the fisheries dept. gets no extra funds to hire staff and purchase equipment for the aging and understaffed hatcheries. IL is a fantastic musky fishery thanks to the efforts of the IDNR and Illinois Musky Alliance (IMA) which is represented by all the musky clubs throughout the state, and who works closely with the state fisheries dept to protect the future of the musky fishery in Illinois.