Thread: Opener on Petenwell

Opener on Petenwell

I have never targeted Muskie's before but I got all stocked up over the winter and I am ready to start. My buddy lives down by Petenwell and said that since it is an early opener lake we should try down there first weekend. I am not looking for specific spots or GPS coordinates but I ahve never been on the lake and it is a big body of water (relatively speaking). Anybidy that has fished it got a couple hints for what traditionally works on the lake or structure types?
    Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Back in my youth, I fished The Pete alot, and it's cousin Castle Rock, and the river in between. Ahhh, those were the days....single...carefree....nevermind.

Walleyes, and big pike were the target of choice, Muskies were not stocked yet, and we didn't care either. But if I were going to chase Muskies on the Pete, I would probably start up at Wilderness Park, then push to the north end toward Nekoosa. It's shallow and stumpy so be careful, but should be a great starting point. Then depending on water temps and wind, you can fish the river channel off the main lake with jigs and live bait.
    It's not the easiest body of water to learn, but like all others, time on the water is well spent once you find some fish. I'll include a link here that may help. A visit to the bait shop at the dam is also time well spent....get a good map ahead of time.
    Also...The Woodbine just off 21 has tremendous food, the saturday nite buffett is killer.

http://www.lake-link.com/Wisconsin-F...nwell-Flowage/

Ive been to Pettenwell once,,to help scout for the PMTT,,,it is THEE most hazardous lake Ive ever been on worse then Lac Suel worse then anything so be very carefull!!! bring something that looks like a carp theres plenty of em

Try Devil's Elbow and any of the creek inlets. Small bucktails are effective. Black/nickel. If you're going to fish Devil's Elbow, you might want to consider launching at The Tubes as the water may be low, and yes, this is a VERY hazardous lake. Stick to the main channel at all times and even then, be careful. Also, fish the docks at the Lure Bar (in Barnum Bay) and use a small bucktail again. You won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by gtp888; 04-19-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added information

Hooker forgot to mention that one of the best stuffed-crust deep-dish Chicago-style pizzas anywhere can be found nearby. Owner of bar said it was impossible for six of us to finish four of his pizzas. As a bet, we wanted free beer for the rest of the night if we could annihilate the pizzas. We drank for free!

Fishing wise, it is one of the few places I've lost a lure in 3 feet of water and could not recover it from the stump.

I'm told that Leech Lake strain is reproducing naturally there.

Greg Ide
    (didn't even get heartburn)

If you want to fish the Elbow area exclusively, there is a nice landing there as well with a fairly new dock, which was purchased with funds from the PMC (thank you Todd!). However, I might recomend putting in at one of the landings on the channel if you plan to spend any time at all in the deeper portions of the flowage.

As a club, we have stocked Leech Lake strain into the flowage twice now, the first time in 2006. Neither group of fish were marked(for weather and fish condition reasons), so there would be no indication of reproduction, even if there was an outside chance a few from the 2006 planting may have spawned/together by now. With that said, there has been no indication that the Leechers have survived beyond a few years. There was a documented 37"er caught two seasons ago, and that was about it. Helping the DNR with their Musky survey over 2 years, none of the captured fish were/appeared to be LL strain. I had two people tell me they caught one last year, though after examining pics, they were WI strain fish without question. I am hopeful that they are thriving and acting as they do in some of the waters I fish in MN, where they are not easy to find until a larger size.

Getting back to the original post, good luck on the opener. If you get a chance, you should stop out at anchor Bay bar and grill on the Biron flowage at 6PM. Our club(consolidated Musky CLub Inc.) is holding our annual spring outing on opening day, anywhere on the river south of 10, and you are welcome to fish it. Good place to get tips from the other 'sticks' and a chance to win some nice prizes. We'll have pizza and snacks included in the outing fee($10). We will also be holding our spring banquet at another location on Tuesday 5/1/12, with plenty of raffles there as well(email with questions and for directions muskyj@wctc.net).

The fish have for the most part completed spawning this year, which is earlier than last year by a couple weeks. They should still be in those locations, however. Be careful, and watch the weather if out on the big pond.
    Last edited by JasonSchillinger; 04-23-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It really is great to ahve a resource like this. Now my only problem is the fact that I have a bachelor party on the Saturday of opener so I have to figure out how I am going to fish Sunday with what I imagine will be a massive headache and probably some dehydration issues.

Quote Originally Posted by smbrickner View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys. It really is great to ahve a resource like this. Now my only problem is the fact that I have a bachelor party on the Saturday of opener so I have to figure out how I am going to fish Sunday with what I imagine will be a massive headache and probably some dehydration issues.
    Learned this in college ... drink a tall glass of water or a bottle of water before you go to bed. Take two aspirin with it. That should eliminate the hangover. Next morning, drink regular Coke for the sugar and caffeine. Don't forget to eat breakfast or you'll hit a huge mid morning wall.

If you prayed before the porcelain god, well, you're on your own.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Steve is right....and big breakfast is a key.

Just west of The Pete is a little town, Necedah. There is a nice little cafe on 21 that will serve up sumthin special to set you right. Great hash browns too.

And I keep several cans of regular Coke in the cooler for all day....and a few Snickers bars. Survival gear.

I would stay away from Jack Daniels. Have fun and good luck in the poker game.