Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Issues Little Help

Reel Issues Little Help

Hey,
    I have an abu garcia ambassadeur C4. I have been fishing for muskies for about 6 months now with this reel. It casts and retrieves great. However, when I hook a fish the reel seems to lock up when I try to reel it in. Even when the fish runs at the boat it will stay locked until there is a scary amount of slack. I have only lost one fish despite my troubles, but one is one too many. Typically I have the star drag locked down. We don't have big enough fish in VA to worry about breaking fish off. Let me know what you think. Thanks

J

RE: Reel Issues Little Help

I've had similar problems with reels 2 of my reels with graphite frames. I used them for jig fishing rigs. I'm really not sure why, but they operate (cast and retrieve) fine until I hook a fish, then they seem to bind intermittently when attempting to reel in the fish.

After taking them apart, lubing and putting them back together twice and not clearing the issue, I've put them on the shelf and don't use them any more.

I'm really not sure what the problem is, but the only thing in common is graphite frames, which aren't as stiff as metal.

Interesting. I recently sent it back to Abu and they sent me a new reel with no explanation. I was happy, but still curious. I haven't hooked up with a fish with the new reel yet. A friend uses the same kind and has no issues so hopefully the old one just had a bug. Ill keep the graphite v.s metal reels in mind thanks.

It sounds like the anti-reverse bearing. The reason they sent you a new reel is because this bearing is pressed into the side plate. It can be changed, but not easily. All should be good now!!

Same thing with my C4. Sent it in, sent me a new one no questions asked. New one does the same thing. Thinking about sending it in and asking for the older version of the 6501 C4, which I loved for jerkbaits! This new model is not the same.

Also sent in a 7001 Big Game that was "slipping" with any tension (even a lure) and they sent it back without working on it. Thanks Abu Garcia.

Steve

This has been kicked around many times on forums, and there will ALWAYS be someone who will tell you they have used C4's for 20 years without ever having a problem BUT...

my opinion, unless you fish about once a year on a vacation I would highly suggest you get yourself another reel. You are just going to give yourself headaches with all the problems it will give you, and for performance you get what you pay for...in this case, not much.

My Abus get used just about every weekend all season long and for a few 10 day trips in between. Have I had problems, yes, but very minor. Nothing that cleaning and lubing, or a $2 or $3 dollar part couldn't fix. My oldest is a 5500C from the late 70's, which is still in service.

I got a Calcutta, which I thought was fantastic. It began giving me problems midway through its' first season. I sent it in since it was under warranty and they sent me a new one. It lasted the rest of the year and part of the next and began giving me more problems. It too was replaced by Shimano. The replacement was crap too shortly thereafter.

I'll stick with my Abus. I know them inside and out. Also since I've modified them to C6s with bearings everywhere possible, they out-perform the Shimano handsdown!! :+

Cool. I hope the new one works. I have a feeling its going to do the same thing. Ive been snagged a few times and Ive felt the same old lock up when I try to "pretend" I have a fish on and reel in on the snag. Hopefully Im wrong but maybe I should just upgrade. Any suggestions on a quality upgrade?

Musky fishing is very hard on your gear. No matter what reel you get it will probably need some repair now and then, it comes with the territory. I like Shimano, myself, but I use Abu's too. They get the job done fine, but I prefer the Shimanos. Beware of the $100 reels, I haven't had much luck with them (Tica Caimans, Megaroyals, Marados etc.) at all. Generally, you are better off spending more and getting into the 200 reels (Calcuttas, Curados, Revo Toros, St. Croixs, etc.) If that is your budget, though, I'd look at the Shimano Cardiff, or stick with Abu's. I've heard mixed reviews about Okumas, but most guys seem to like them. I don't have one so I don't know. Abu's are decent reels, just expect you'll have repairs periodically. BTW I've had way better luck with the C3's than the C4's.

Great thanks. Ill see how this replacement C4 works and start saving my pennies.