Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 World Muskie Tournament Series™ Offers $160,000 Championship

I don't think the promoter makes as much money as you think. When I do the math assuming the full fields and payouts. It looks like the promoter clears $54,000 to run 21 tournaments. That seems fair for the work involved. The sponsor probably help with advertising and other expenses.

Not sure if they provide money back to the resource but with 21 tournaments in WI you would think they would.

I know for a fact the PMTT operates on a much tighter budget and still contributes to the resource.

Good question. I'm guessing they must. A tourney that puts that much pressure on te waters there, and does so annually, must see the benefits of maintaining a sustainable fishery...

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
    It is alot of money.

So is any of it going back to restocking the same water used in the Tournaments??

I know it's a CPR event, but I think we all know about delayed mortality. And I think that we all know that you can't have a Tournament without the muskies in the first place. Shouldn't they come first ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saric View Post
    I don't think the promoter makes as much money as you think. When I do the math assuming the full fields and payouts. It looks like the promoter clears $54,000 to run 21 tournaments. That seems fair for the

I guess my math is still off... I counted more. That being said, I may, or may not, be drinking

I don't think the promoter makes as much money as you think. When I do the math assuming the full fields and payouts. It looks like the promoter clears $54,000 to run 21 tournaments. That seems fair for the work involved. The sponsor probably help with advertising and other expenses.

Not sure if they provide money back to the resource but with 21 tournaments in WI you would think they would.

I know for a fact the PMTT operates on a much tighter budget and still contributes to the resource.

Yes, one would think that they would..... one would think that their main objective is to help the resource grow with a generous contribution toward restocking.

I don't think any of the dollars spent at the local pubs, gas stations, motels, and restaraunts ever finds it's way back into the lake, those folks are on hard times as it is.

So, nobody knows howmuch of a payout there is for the fish.......out of allll that money that's on the table.??
    Last edited by JollyRoger; 04-06-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Nobody ?

I find that interesteting.

One of my side issues earlier was just this. Given the large number of anticipated Tourneys in a relatively small geographic area... "Preaching to the Choir" if I may, might have an unexpected backlash effect if not very attentive to this important part of the equation. You can't just pay "lip service" to resource husbandry and move on to the next venue..... the core base of our community just would not allow it to go unchecked for very long.

Mr. Saric is 100% correct in the above quote. In my time, only 5 years or so, with the PMTT, many thousands of dollars were donated to various organizations, causes and agencies from Missouri to New York, Minnesota to Kentucky... MI, Project Green Gene in Illinois... the Indy Musky Symposium... Petenwell stocking efforts... a Minnesota film project showing the minimal impact of Musky in healthy fisheries and more. If we hit a water... we tried to assist in some local efforts aimed at improving that areas fisheries. Often unhearlded, I am proud to say that the Widlacki family and everyone associated with running the PMTT felt this to be an important part of what we did... whether they got credit for it or not, they put their money where their mouth is because of passion and beliefs.

As to the point raised by Voice of Reason and others: Musky are a sustainable resource; They are stocked to be fished; The more anglers targeting Musky... the more dollars allocated for them by both State & Fishing Industry: We should not fear targeting MUSKY.... I feel that argument is counter-productive and endangers our ability to persuade governmental agencies continued allocation of dwindling funds in support of sustaining "an unfishable population" of muskellunge! What we DO NEED is to follow accepted best practices in both their handling & safe release AND continue to educate others in the need to follow those steps.

Well run tourneys can, should and have... historically, driven some mighty positive changes in angling from tackle, rods & reels to boat models and everything in between. Tournaments are an important part of promoting / supporting local communities,businesses and outstanding fisheries.. not to mention the folks who are actually on the water trying to make a go of it. Tournaments and the growing coverage of them; print, on line & TV, are one heck of an educational tool as well!

Promotion, protection & participation. Important parts of sustaining what has become an awesome angling opportunity throughout most of North America... the pursuit of the "Monarch of Freshwater". Done in a responsible manner, tournaments have an important role to play in our end game.

Bob "the Fin-Addict" Osborne

Fishing is a living legacy..... Pass it on!

For anybody who fishes these things or just reads what folks say about them on forums, you quickly learn there are some pretty strong feelings both for and against tournaments. The biggest effect it’s had on me is I am quite certain people are looking at what we do when we come to your lake or your town. For me, even without being any kind of a big-time stick, or even much of a producer of trophies, I know clearly that I am an ambassador of our sport.
    How I drive my car, park my rig, act in the restaurants, gas stations, bait shops or behaving at the boat ramps is under scrutiny all the time. Even in trying to be a bit more clean shaven and dressed nicely in sponsor’s clothing, I know it all counts. You are setting an example and people notice, whether it’s a good example or a bad one. Naturally, that’s all multiplied exponentially once you are actually on the water, especially in a boat that everybody knows is way bigger than it needs to be for their lake. My dealer’s name is also clearly and largely plastered across the side of my boat as well as other sponsors and I know they think they deserve to be represented in a professional manner that rewards their trust and investment. Sometimes it seems that means idling by a never ending line of kayaks, canoes, or paddleboats so as not to swamp their day, or staying politely behind a pontoon load of oldsters who believe three miles per hour is plenty fast enough for a Sunday.
    But, for me, probably the biggest single thing of all is showing respect for the fishery we love. Like the few posts here that are tossing out questions, the biggest point of all is how this affects the resource. Many times the posters will just ask if the tournament organization is making a donation to a stocking program. My position is that it’s totally good and fine if they do, but the real issue is what I do. I need to be acting like a sportsman all the time, I need to set a good mark as to how I operate my boat, fish fairly, make a healthy release the single most important act of the day and making improving the resource MY JOB. So, I will support MI and all the other organizations that work to protect our fishery. I will also participate is stuff like Operation Muskie where our support can work for other good things. I will make a really big effort to make sure I am spending time with young people, teaching them how to properly engage in the sport and how to live with a small footprint.
    In short, I often bristle at, and sometimes get a little sick and tired of the anti-tournament comments that I hear or read, but the simple truth is that a great offence is a better defense. So, as the tournament season is now only weeks away, I wish all my fellow competitors the very best of luck, a safe season and your new personal best. I also repeat that everywhere you go; everything you do is a lasting display of how folks view our great sport. Also….please stay out of my spot!!!

MEGAPHONE... what Marty just shared!!

One of my very most favorite things about competitive angling, sponsorships & volunteering is indeed that enhanced sense of ambassadorship JunkMan illustrated; of being a spokesperson or advocate for something you got a real feeling for... with a smidgen of a chance to make a difference if you are lucky. I know, sounds a bit naive doesn't it? But lots of folks I have met and fished with over the years actually share a little bit of this sentiment to some extent or the other I think. The concentration though of these sort of folks, I would offer, seems to be considerably more dense in the Tourney, Club & Show circles by my somewhat limited experience.

Thanks for saying what most serious tournament anglers already know, practice & feel. We, as Musky Tourney competitors, are particularly visible ambassadors for a fringe minority, maybe not the lunatic fringe (though many might argue that point)... but certainly a near maniacal fringe of the freshwater angling community.

Best to all. Have a safe and successful 2012!

I get what Tournament fishing is all about....and I know about the negatives, and positives.

Simple question: If you want to be a good spokesperson, a good ambassador to musky fishing, and a respectable outdoorsman, wouldn't having a nice chunk of dough designated toward a restocking program do that best?

Leaving the outdoors better than when you entered it should come first to anyone.

JR... I hear what you are saying but think you are missing the mark slightly.

Agreed: We should encourage, applaud, note and acknowledge those promoters that make the personal decision to financially support any of a large number of resource positive causes when they gather competitive anglers to any venue.

Yet: The dollar amount returned by a promoter to a resource has nothing whatsoever to do with "how good" an ambassador, spokesperson, outdoors-person or conservationists an individual angler/competitor is....? A promoters donation to any cause won't make YOU or I any better or worse as an individual in any of those categories you spoke of; only your own actions or in actions will do that!

Certainly most would also agree that it is way more than how much money... 'nice chunk' or not, I or anybody else throw at a cause. There are things other than money or lip-service that make an impact... your involvement and/or participation to help influence positive progress I would suggest as being prominent atop that list.

In answer to the rhetorical "wouldn't it be better if ?" question: Well of course it would!! But it is not mandated. NPO's like MInc and others are not in the same class as are the for profit operations and each have a margin in which they need to work to stay afloat. Expecting them to flirt with bankruptcy in order to "prove" their worthiness seems somewhat unfair to me.

I might further argue that many of the folks comprising the fields in almost every event I have ever participated in over the years where amongst the most active and vocal advocates in our angling community. We do put our dollars, time, resources... evenings, days and weekends into every part of this resource. We don't count on any promoter to do our work for us and these amazing opportunities we are enjoying today are indeed because of OUR collective efforts over a very long period of time AND not those of any tourney promoters. We put a TON back into every fishery we call homewater across the Musky's range, whether or not a promoter does.

WE make the difference as anglers... not the promoter. You choose whom to support and associate yourself with... so choose wisely.

Respectfully,