Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 World Muskie Tournament Series™ Offers $160,000 Championship

2012 World Muskie Tournament Series™ Offers $160,000 Championship

The WORLD MUSKIE TOURNAMENT SERIES™ (WMT Series™) is set, once again, to continue to make muskie
    fishing and muskie tournament fishing history during the 2012 tournament season, offering a championship
    purse of $160,000.00 with a first place prize of $100,000.00 with all twenty one tournaments being held
    throughout Wisconsin. The whopping $160,000.00 purse for a muskie tournament series, season ending
    championship, far and away will eclipse the old record of a $55,000.00 cash purse with a $40,000.00 first place
    prize held by the WMT Series™ in 2011. For twelve years, it has been the WMT Series™ mission to promote
    and enhance the sport of muskie fishing through hosting 188, high profile professional muskie tournaments,
    giving back to those muskie anglers who have given so much to the sport by releasing 100% of their catch.

The Professional Muskie Angler Circuit™ (Pro-MAC™) and the Muskie Country Tournament Circuit™ (MCTC™)
    are the two largest professional muskie tournament circuits in the world, is sanctioned by, and run under the
    direction of the WMT Series™. On October 6th & 7th, the top fifty finishing teams from each tournament series
    will compete for muskies fishing top prize of $100,000.00 (with limits being reached) at the WMT Series™
    Invitation Championship™ on the Eagle River Chain of Lakes.

The Pro-MAC™ will consist of six qualifying two-day events in 2012. With a field of 125 teams, anglers will be
    competing for a purse over $31,000.00 and for the chance to earn enough points for the highly coveted invite
    to the Championship. The cost for a two angler team is $370 for each event. The 2012 Pro-MAC™ schedule is:

June 9 & 10 Minocqua Chain
    June 16 & 17 Three Lakes Chain
    August 4 & 5 Three Lakes Chain
    August 18 & 19 Manitowish Chain
    August 25 & 26 Eagle River Chain
    September 15 & 16 Namekagon Lake

The Muskie Country Tournament Circuit™ is comprised of fourteen one-day tournaments that are held, back-
    to-back, with one event on Saturday, and another the following Sunday (except North-South Twin Lakes
    hosted on Memorial Day Monday after Lac Vieux Desert tournament on the previous Saturday). With fields of
    75 teams, anglers will be competing for a purse of $19,000.00 with the top fifty point leaders going on to the
    WMT Series™ Invitational Championship™. The cost to compete in an MCTC™ event is $370 per two angler
    team for each event. The 2012 MCTC™ schedule is:

May 12 Lake Monona
    May 13 Lake Waubesa/Upper Mud
    May 19 Pewaukee Lake
    May 20 Lake Okauchee
    May 26 Lac Vieux Desert
    May 28 North/South Twin Lakes
    June 2 Squirrel Lake/Pike-Round Chain
    June 3 Butternut Lake/Phillips Chain
    June 23 Big St. Germain/Sand Dam Chain
    June 24 Big Arbor Vitae/Plum Lake
    June 30 Lake Mohawksin
    July 1 Boom Lake
    September 8 Bone Lake
    September 9 Wapogasset Lake

The WMT Series™ events are open to the public. If you are interested in expanding your muskie knowledge
    and enjoying the competition with others who share your interest, log on to www.WMTSeries.com web site or
    www.professionalmuskieanglercircuit.com for info and an entry form or you can call 715-277-4411.

Very pleased to see this is no longer a transport tournament! wish you were not trying for a variance to continue with those methods though.
    hopefully this event is a huge success and you embrace the immediate release program more fully as a result.

Wow. 21 WI tournaments, that's incredible. How many teams do these tournaments average? Is the $160,000 based upon filling all 21 events?

The letter sent to contestants says, ""as soon as you help us hit an average of 55 paid teams for the Pro-MAC two-day events and 45 registered team average for the MCTC, then we can officially guarantee the full pay-out at the championship." Personally, I'd say that based on the improving economy, the size of the money promised, and the number of teams that have been fishing these in the recent past....they are very likely to make those numbers happen.

Quote Originally Posted by voice_of_reason View Post
    Very pleased to see this is no longer a transport tournament! wish you were not trying for a variance to continue with those methods though.
    hopefully this event is a huge success and you embrace the immediate release program more fully as a result.
    Good & Better. Like the expanded format and increased opportunity for introductory level involvement in competitive Musky angling. Relatively small geographical region and "preaching to the choir" as far as expanding resource awareness and exposing non-esox anglers to this aspect of the sport goes. (IMHO) But a big plus overall when it comes to market expansion and helping get the fishing industry's attention to our growing numbers and the muskellunge's importance as a positive monetary resource.

The transport issue has long been a hot button, being hashed & rehashed for a lot of years. I really feel a move, whether forced or not, towards what MOST consider a more favorable release procedure will only enhance your marketability and give your organization higher acceptability within the general Musky angling public. Not wanting to argue the Pros or Cons, just saying that the perception of immediate release in a tournament format that targets this potentially fragile apex piscatorial predator is something not to be taken too lightly and often cited as reason for opposing such competitions in the first place.

All that said: As an active competitive / promotional Musky angler, I hope you folks knock it outta the park with this move! More exposure and better productions help us to bake a bigger pie... with a few more slices to go around.

Best of luck,
    Bob Osborne

Don't get me wrong, I am a capitalist, and my math could be off, but that sure is a lot of $$$. I imagine once sponsorships are incorporated, this is quite a profitable enterprise!

$350k to guarantee $160k purse!

Again, if my math or understanding of the costs is wrong, please correct me.

55 * 370 (6)
    45 * 370 (14)

Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    The letter sent to contestants says, ""as soon as you help us hit an average of 55 paid teams for the Pro-MAC two-day events and 45 registered team average for the MCTC, then we can officially guarantee the full pay-out at the championship." Personally, I'd say that based on the improving economy, the size of the money promised, and the number of teams that have been fishing these in the recent past....they are very likely to make those numbers happen.

Quote Originally Posted by voice_of_reason View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am a capitalist, and my math could be off, but that sure is a lot of $$$. I imagine once sponsorships are incorporated, this is quite a profitable enterprise!

$350k to guarantee $160k purse!

Again, if my math or understanding of the costs is wrong, please correct me.

55 * 370 (6)
    45 * 370 (14)

Ummm ... perhaps you forgot the payouts at the 20 qualifiers?
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    Ummm ... perhaps you forgot the payouts at the 20 qualifiers?
    Yeah- I Think I did. I originally read it as $160k total purse. Pretty cool for the final. So is it another 19000 and 31000 across each of the others? So a total payout of $210k then?

Pay-outs of the qualifiers depend heavily on the field size for each individual tournament. Also realize that this is a business and is intended to make money for the organizers.

It is alot of money.

So is any of it going back to restocking the same water used in the Tournaments??

I know it's a CPR event, but I think we all know about delayed mortality. And I think that we all know that you can't have a Tournament without the muskies in the first place. Shouldn't they come first ??