Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Signs You Are Maturing As A Musky Fisherman

Angry Signs You Are Maturing As A Musky Fisherman

In preparation for the upcoming musky season, I bought a Plano 3730 to hold bifocals, tendonitis wraps and Advil. I got a sweet looking camo colored glasses case for the bifocals! What else do I need? Maybe a back brace? Not the kind of “maturing” I was hoping for.

<The Most Interesting Musky Fisherman In The World - Muskies swim into his net just to have their picture taken with him!>
    Last edited by 1morecast; 03-25-2012 at 10:04 AM.

A step for the front deck, smaller lures, younger boat partners, suspension seats, padded front deck, full windshield, trolling friendly boat setup, velcro closure walking shoes, support socks etc.

The most obvious sign: Quitting musky fishing and taking up panfishing.

So many times I've been out chucking big plugs around and there's an old timer dunking crawlers. He says, " I used to chase musky too. Just can't do it anymore. Ain't got much time left. Just need to have somthing tuggin' at the end of my line."

I hope someday I'm a panfisherman.

I was glad when WI delayed the musky opener to Memorial Day weekend, because I couldn't force myself to fish for walleye or panfish, even if conditions for musky were unfavorable.

Over the past few years I've fished with a bass fisherman. I determined he was having a lot more fun than me, so last year I actually fished bass a little bit, and had some nice memories.

That said, it probably makes more sense to fish whatever species that's biting best, though I still have to force myself to do it!

Nice Bob......... Oh by the way where do I get a lower back brace that will fit over my aging beer induced spare tire?
    Last edited by Kodiak; 03-25-2012 at 01:18 PM.

I can remember fishing Eagle Lake Ontario in the 1980's when the legal size was 28".

I must be getting Old, because.....
    I can remember fish on LOW when the size limit was 28". I remember fishing and catching fish on LOW with out the aid of a trolling motor, depth finder or GPS. I remember fishing, and catching fish in WI without a battery in the boat... no electric start motor, no trolling motor, no depth finder, no GPS, and no lake map. Just a set of oars and a 10 HP motor. I can remember fishing and catching fish with reels without an anti reverse, Pfluger Supremes. When a fish hit, the handles would go backwards if you let them slip out of your fingers. I have scars. I remember fishing with nylon and dacron lines. I remember fishing with a 5' Heddon Pal Musky Special fiberglass rod. No one used anything longer then 6', or had heard of graphite.
    I still occasionally fish from a 14" jon boat without any electronics, not even a battery in the boat. And with reels without anti reverses. And when I catch a nice fish, this old time way, my smile is a little wider, then when I am in my 20' fully equipped Ranger, BUT, don't get me wrong, I am not giving up the big boat either.

How about a senior citizen's discount at the tackle shop to tell you?

I'd say, for me, the ultimate expression of maturity was a good supply of baby wipes in the boat. Now, anywhere I choose to stop becomes a perfectly comfortable rest room.

Sugar free red bull, good supply of chemical handwarmers. I do have baby wipes on board, have only used them on my hands so far.