Thread: choosing a 3rd rod

choosing a 3rd rod

Hi,
    I'm looking to add another rod/reel combination.

Presently I've got:
    9' Big Nasty / Calcutta 400CTE - rod rated 3-8 oz
    7' Shimano Convergence CVC-70XHA / Curado 300 - rod rated 1-3 oz

My 13 yr old son uses the Shimano/Curado set up when we fish together, so I'd like to get something to compliment these two setups .
    I fish mainly June & July, casting a wide variety of baits.

thanks for any help you can give.
    cheers,
    Brian

I was very impressed with the new Shimano Compre rods that I held at the Milwaukee show. Felt almost identical weight wise to a Big Nasty. Only problem with them is only either 3-7oz or 4-10 oz which is close to what you have. Tackle Industries and Musky Innovations have heavier weight rods in the 4-16 oz range if you want something with more backbone for soft plastics.

Seeing you already have big nasty to handle big plastics and big blades I'd recommend letting your son adopt the shimano rod and get yourself either the top-n-tail or the long ranger.I have the big nasty and the top-n-tail now and love them both.I use the top-n-tail for so many situations I plan on picking up a long ranger at the mn expo and putting my revo hs on one and a normal 5.3 geared reel on the other.I have a couple of the old style compre rods and several of the premier series rods also but the legend tournament series rods are by far my favorite and they redid them for this year.Can't wait to get my hands on one. Russ

If you're looking to throw a wide variety of baits, you can't beat the Tackle Industries XH for being versatile. If you want some bling without big cost, get a custom built on a Tackle Industries blank.

jeremy

As mentioned above The Curado could be your Son's primary setup. Since you already have a Heavy lure set up your other rod should be a Medium Heavy, fast action rated 1-3 onces. I'm a St. Croix guy so recommend PRemier, Legend or Mojo depending on budget, with these specs. The Medium Heavy, fast action handles just about everything.

Check out the bluegrass fishing rods by crash Mullins. I great rods great price.

First thing you need to do is have a price point. Then buy the best rod you can for the money. I feel your best choice is St Croix because they have a rod line for every budget. They also have a full line in each price range.

I guess if I would probably go with a MH either 8' or 8'6" because it will allow you to be a little more rounded when fishing. The Big Nasty is probably the best all around rod I have ever had. But it can be a little big for some of the things I do I use my Top n Tail and Long Ranger a lot. Right now my 2 main rods are the Nasty and Top n Tail in my boat.
    Hope this helps

Thanks for all the input - it's great to be able to pick your brains.

I'm leaning towards an 8' to 8'6" MH. Now the question is what reel to match it with. Maybe move the Calcutta to the new MH rod and get something a little more heavy duty for the Big Nasty.

Any thoughts?