Thread: Musky History Figure 8?

Musky History Figure 8?

I was bored and I dug out some of my old musky books. I noticed that the figure 8 was mentioned way back in some of the older ones and it made me wonder if anyone is given credit for starting the figure 8?

If you were my son, I would tell you that it was invented by Ezekiel Eightendorf, lumberjack and angling legend of the bygone era northwoods...

Which books were you reading? I think my oldest are Claflin's (1940s) and Lind's (1950s). I could check to see what they say.

Gelb has mentioned it being a staple already when he started in the 1950s.

I think Ramsell started in a dugout canoe so it would be interesting to see what he says.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Gee thanks Steve. Even though I turn 70 next month, I didn't think I was "that" old! LOL

Have been searching my memory, but cannot recall when I first heard of the Figure 8. I caught my first legal in 1957 by "doing it" and wrote an article about it in an old outdoors magazine I can't even recall the name of (I believe it may have been Fishing World...my copy is packed away). I believe it was the late 60's or early 70's, but I certainly didn't start it, figure 8ing, "dugout canoe" notwithstanding.

No longer have my really old reference works, but I'm sure someone will find an older reference to figure 8 technique because of this thread.

Muskie regards,
    Larry Ramsell
    www.larryramsell.com

Steve,
    You have me beat by a long shot. My oldest is Joe's Bucktail Fishing For Muskies that is starting to crumble (1975?), Tony Rizzo's (1977?) and last but not least, Musky Mastery around 1992.

Larry,
    If you don't know the answer, then I don't think anyone does. It's fun to wonder, though. Hmm, Ezekiel Eightendorf?
    Last edited by 1morecast; 02-17-2012 at 10:54 PM.