Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musky rod and reel for kids

Musky rod and reel for kids

My soon to be 13 year old son wants to get into musky fishing. I am looking to get him some musky gear for his birthday. Are there any rod/reel combos that would be best for a kid that has never used a baitcaster before? Anything I should stay away from? I know what I like, but in case he does not like it, I do not want to get him something very expensive. He is a big boy with hands as large as mine. I just want to get him something that would be first time user friendly. Thanks for the replies.

Dan H.

RE: Musky rod and reel for kids

At 13 and of size, he could of course chuck with anything we can.

In terms of suggestions, I would highly suggest a reel with a thumb bar vs. one with a button. It is a little easier for beginners. No sense in going too high up the chain. Something like a 400 Shimano Cardiff would do nicely (in fact, I still use one).

For rods, I hear Okuma makes a nice cheapie. I've tried St. Croix Triumph - not bad, but not too many model choices.

Gander Mtn has musky rods that do quite nicely for about $50. i would use one of theirs. They hold up well in my experience.

The Gander rods are well made, but look at the Pro Select series, 79.99. They are made with IM8 graphite and are lighter than Gander's less expensive rods which are IM6 & IM7 graphite.

The Okuma EVX Musky 7'6" Hvy (EVX-C-761H) would be a good all purpose rod at 109.99. HI's Tackle Box,( http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Okum...ods-s/1350.htm )has these with free shipping.

As stated above start of with a reel with a tumb bar and i'm not sure how tall the young man is but maybe buy a used rod like someones out dated 6' (I was only like 5' 3" or less at that age)

Boji

My daugters 13 she went along on her fist muskie hunt over the weekend and had no problems with my 7'6" Criox and 300 Curado. She did great for never casting a baitcaster before in her life.

I know you said that you didnt want to spend a lot of money but I would highly recommend getting either a Curado or a Revo Toro for him. It will be much more comfortable for him to fish with for extended periods of time, plus if you try it you will be using it when you arnt fishing with him!

Peter

Hello all !!
    My 6 yr old son throws a 6600 BCX Abu with a 7'6" bionic blade pretty well. He is only 6 but does a remarkable job. Had his first follow last week. Followed through 2 circles at boatside but didnt eat. Looked to be 35-40". After 1 repeat cast to the area the fish came from he put his rod down and grabbed his stomach and said "daddy that thing hurt my stomach" !! I told him it hurt mine too !! I think he is hooked because that is all he has talked about for a week !!

Had my 13 year nephew out muskie fishing for the first time last week. He used an 8'6" Okuma EVX with a red isis reel and had absolutely no problem. Handled it like he had been doing it for years, when it was really his first time with a bait caster. However, he is 5'9" lifts weights and is strong for his age. I think size is as important as age.

Get him something you'd use if he doesn't like it.

Spend the money on a good reel and a decent rod. The problem with going cheap is the stuff breaks easier. If he's just getting into it, better equipment might be the best option as he will get less backlashes which in turn will make it hold up longer. Plus, do you want to see him lose a fish because you went cheap on a reel. I assume you'd like to get him hooked on musky fishing right? Boating fish is the easiest way to do that.

Look on Ebay, you can find good reels at decent prices. Depending whether he is a lefty or righty I'd get him a Calcutta B, Revo Toro 60 or 61 or a Daiwa Luna. All solid reels and I know you can get a Calcutta B or a Revo Toro for under or just around $200 on Ebay RIGHT NOW.

Then get a 7'6" or 8' H Compre or something similar.

What's the worst that happens? You just bought yourself a decent combo!