Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topraider Vs. Whopper Plopper

Question Topraider Vs. Whopper Plopper

I am going to be picking up a few new top waters for this spring and was wondering what everyone on here has had the best luck with the Topraider or the Whopper Plopper. If your answer is topraider with one the standard one prop or the double prop?
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    HH

You're considering three different baits here and it's difficult to choose one over another. All are exceptionally well made ... because of the high impact plastic and tail designs, they're possibly the best of the prop baits for durability.

The TR and WP have different sounds. One may work today or this week while the other doesn't, and vice versa next week. The Super TR really shines with fish that follow but won't hit a single-bladed bait, or in big wind or heavy rain, when a bigger profile is necessary.

I've had more success with the TR, but then I've been using them since the prototype stages in 1998. Ditto for the Super TR, for which we had prototypes in 1999. But I expect big things for the WP because its sound is so different.

Sorry for this wishy-washy answer, but this question can't be answered definitively. My topwater box always has two of each of these baits in it -- a black one of each for low light periods and a fire tiger/frog/clown, etc. one of each for daytime.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Got both, and for me they perform about the same.
    Weak point of the Topraider is that the prop shaft breaks off (couple now) when the bait gets older.
    Two of my four ploppers started to sink ( micro cracked absorbing water)I did not hit any stones that I know of. Didn't have any action on the double prop topraider so I no longer use it.
    Last edited by lifeisfun; 01-24-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Havent used the plopper I like the super tr for wind and rain. Its uncanny how well the super tr has worked for me in the rain. it was a trick i learned on a guided musky trip i will have to pick up a whopper plopper this year

StormyK

I would also consider the Pacemaker by Sennett Tackle Company. Those lures are great. They make a sound that no other topwater I have seen makes and they make a bit of commotion on the surface. The sizes are 5.5", 7" and 9.5". They work great. They also make other topwater baits as well (Rough Runner, Stillwater and Creeptonite). For me though the Pacemaker is my go to topwater lure.

i would go whopper.0723

The Pacemaker is also my "go to" topwater lure on my home waters. It has been my highest producing lure when conditions point towards throwing topwaters. That said, there have been times when they haven't generated follows so I've switched to a Topraider and had fish coming in fast on them. My advice would be similar to Steves - have at least one of each and let the fish tell you what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by makins117 View Post
    I would also consider the Pacemaker by Sennett Tackle Company. Those lures are great. They make a sound that no other topwater I have seen makes and they make a bit of commotion on the surface. The sizes are 5.5", 7" and 9.5". They work great. They also make other topwater baits as well (Rough Runner, Stillwater and Creeptonite). For me though the Pacemaker is my go to topwater lure.

Quote Originally Posted by dfkiii View Post
    The Pacemaker is also my "go to" topwater lure on my home waters. It has been my highest producing lure when conditions point towards throwing topwaters. That said, there have been times when they haven't generated follows so I've switched to a Topraider and had fish coming in fast on them. My advice would be similar to Steves - have at least one of each and let the fish tell you what they want.
    Yep, a Pacemaker is another I always have two of (one black and one bright) in the boat. Sometimes they want it LOUD ...
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Seems the WP sits lower in the water and takes a little more speed to get running right, whereas the TR is more bouyant and can be worked effectively at slower speeds. Like them both though.

Love these VS. threads. Very good reading.