Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota Powerdrive question?

Minn Kota Powerdrive question?

Hello,

I have a Minn Kota Powerdrive 55, It still turns right and left perfectly, however the prop will not spin, I can hear a switch clicking when I press the foot pedal but the motor just doesnt activate...I am assuming there is a relay switch or something that must be out...Just wondering if anyone could tell me what is wrong and if it is something i could fix myself or not...

Thanks

RE: Minn Kota Powerdrive question?

The powerdrives are pretty simple mechanically speaking.. After years of frustration of these motors breaking on me, I can say that 95% of the problems come from two items. Foot pedal going to crap, which does not sound like the case here. The "master" board or main control board going to crap. Very simple to change, can be ordered from Minn Kota for around $85 (I think) and it is a plug and play item. If that does not fix your problem you may have had a motor burn up?? My recommendation would be to not put another penny into the junk powerdrive and bite the bullet and buy a Terrova. I have had mine for 1.5 years with no problems.. My power drive was broken everytime I turned around..

The Powerdrive foot pad is the most failure-prone item in my boat. I go through one or sometimes two footpads each season. I never hit the water without a spare. I'm not being hard on them - I weigh about 160, and even then use a light touch. I do, however, fish a lot and they're just not made to last very long.

I had the circuit board on my PD go after 6 years of use. I had it replaced and it cost $116 by an authorized service man in the Milwaukee area. I';m sure his labor rate is much less than others charge. I made an appointment to have it fixed, took the boat over to his place and in 45 minutes he diagnosed the problem and fixed it. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Have you taken the prop off to make sure there isn't a big bundle of line around it?
    When doing so, also loosen the two bolts and pop the plate out a bit to make sure there isn't any line in behind.

I'm on season three with a 55PD, and other than the method of stow/deploy (no chord), I have had no problems whatsoever. Plus, with the battery I run I can go three days in the bush without needing a charge.

Riverpromusky

my terrova sometimes loses power one battery will foul (24v) there is a small square box on the terminal with a little button push it and its back to power. not sure about a powerdrive tho

thecult

man... my pd 55 hasnt given me one issue since ive owned it. been the best part of the boat.

I would say it's the control board too! Mine would steer fine, but I only had off and full speed. $80 do it yourself fix!!

I had this issue, I could turn it left or right, but if I hit the "gas" pedal it would not go. I could get it to run by holding down the "gas" pedal and lifting it out of the water, then putting it back in. It would get the prop turning, then I could move it to continuous and just run it at the lowest speed so I wasn't going too fast. Obviously this is a temp solution as it will drive you nuts.

So I took it in, they cleaned the brushes and the guy re-aligned the the head. It apparently had been set too low, and was not connecting when I would try and run it. Now it runs beautifully.

If it has a shear pin in the prop that is snapped that could be a problem. Had one go on an older Minn Kota transom mount once, but you could hear the motor running, just no prop turning. Or it could be as simple as corrosion on the wires going to the motor.