Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minn Kota Powerdrive question?

F_ast

RE: Minn Kota Powerdrive question?

I just had my pedal replaced under warranty due to corroded contact pads. The button contacts on the inside were all green and i had worn a trough in the slide bar contact area for the power setting. There is a 2 year warranty on you motor from minn kota.

I think I am going to go ahead and replace the control board...I Think I have ruled out any other issues that it could be...Thanks for all the input...hopefully I will be back on the water SOON!!!!!

I would try another footpad first I had 5 go out on me last year.I fish 160 days a year. Borrow one from some one to make sure that is the problem, sounds like it probaly is. You should always have a spare. I always have 2 spares on the boat at all times. Sad but true. The motor is fantastic. But the footpads are Designed bad. Two things have helped me this year so far, Bring pad in house to dry out infront of fan if you have been fishing in heavy rain and unplug motor when charging batteries. I have only broke 1 for 2009 that is new record for me. So it must be helping. I have sent piles back to Minnkota but the design never changes and improvements are never made. I have a bunch more here that are busted. That I might as well throw away I don't think Minnkota even looks at them.
    Good luck,
    Jeff Hanson
    Madisonmuskyguide.com

Funny thing about this thread. I have had exactly the same problem. Took the prop off, cleaned out some weeds but still just click. At a cottage and could not get it fixed. 36 hours later, tried again and it worked, for about 3 hours that is and then just click. Waited another 36 hours hours and it works again. That was a week ago and it still works. Wondering if some water is getting into the housing the shorting something out. Taking it into a repair shop to have it checked out.

Emailed Minn Kota and this is the reply I got.
    "
    You could have an issue of some type in the lower unit where the motor is drawing too many amps and is shutting down the control board, or the control may just be bad. I would consider getting the motor into an authorized service center for repair."

Bill

Powerdrive's are crap. Go Terrova if you have to have electric steer, better yet, go with the Fortrex.

Tan Man