Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are good books for the Early Years of Musky Fishing?

What are good books for the Early Years of Musky Fishing?

I am blessed with the chore of wrinting another paper for a class!! x( I have to write about the past fifty years of a topic and how it changed some areas of society for each decade. So I decided to take another oppurtunity to write about our beloved sport. I have alot of my old Musky Hunters from the early '90's. But, I also have to get some info from a book(s). I was looking for books that would have this kind of info. Do any of you guys know if some of these books are available at libraries, since the topic would be of limited interest. I have not had time yet to check mine. I see Rollie and Helens has some good ones! But i'm not sure which ones would give the most info! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

(These darn papers are really cutting into the fall tropy hunt x( )
    Buddy Ellenburg

Take a Kid fishing they'll have a Lifetime of Memories!!

What are good books for the Early Years of Musky Fishing?

I am blessed with the chore of wrinting another paper for a class!! x( I have to write about the past fifty years of a topic and how it changed some areas of society for each decade. So I decided to take another oppurtunity to write about our beloved sport. I have alot of my old Musky Hunters from the early '90's. But, I also have to get some info from a book(s). I was looking for books that would have this kind of info. Do any of you guys know if some of these books are available at libraries, since the topic would be of limited interest. I have not had time yet to check mine. I see Rollie and Helens has some good ones! But i'm not sure which ones would give the most info! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

(These darn papers are really cutting into the fall tropy hunt x( )
    Buddy Ellenburg

Take a Kid fishing they'll have a Lifetime of Memories!!

RE: What are good books for the Early Years of Musky Fishing?

I would suggest "Sixty Years Behing the Oars" by Buckshot Anderson. Also the Louie Spray book, that one goes back to the 1930's era.

I would suggest "Sixty Years Behing the Oars" by Buckshot Anderson. Also the Louie Spray book, that one goes back to the 1930's era.

Hartman wrote one, "Before I Forget" is the title if I remember corectly.:-) Interesting reading.

There are a few books out where guides were interviewed, and some of the narratives spanned time periods of 50-70 years ago. Rizzo wrote one, "All Pro Musky Guides" might be the title, it's at home and I'm not right now, so again I could be in error. If you read through it you can get glimpses of the past from guides that had been at it for 60 years or more when the book was written in the early nineties I believe. Using my amazing arithmetic skills, that would give you some limited info from the 1930's onward. This is a very good read. About the fifth or sixth time through it, you start to understand.

Hartman wrote one, "Before I Forget" is the title if I remember corectly.:-) Interesting reading.

There are a few books out where guides were interviewed, and some of the narratives spanned time periods of 50-70 years ago. Rizzo wrote one, "All Pro Musky Guides" might be the title, it's at home and I'm not right now, so again I could be in error. If you read through it you can get glimpses of the past from guides that had been at it for 60 years or more when the book was written in the early nineties I believe. Using my amazing arithmetic skills, that would give you some limited info from the 1930's onward. This is a very good read. About the fifth or sixth time through it, you start to understand.

Interview some of the old time guides; many are still around.

Focus your paper on Muskie Inc. and its effect on muskie fishing over the past 40 years.

Explore the effects of tournament fishing and the development of boat, electronics, rods, reels and lures.

Trace the rise and fall of the big fishing magazines, their role in the information boom of the mid 60s through the mid-90s and their struggle to compete with the electric media.

Interview some of the old time guides; many are still around.

Focus your paper on Muskie Inc. and its effect on muskie fishing over the past 40 years.

Explore the effects of tournament fishing and the development of boat, electronics, rods, reels and lures.

Trace the rise and fall of the big fishing magazines, their role in the information boom of the mid 60s through the mid-90s and their struggle to compete with the electric media.

What were the Early Years? 1920s, 1930s, or later. One good book--informationally--that came after that period was Tony Rizzo's Secrets Of A Musky Guide (I). You can see a contrast between Tony's attitude toward the catch; and the catch and release ethic now prevailing. As another guy mentioned, Len Hartman's Before I Forget is good if you can find a copy. Check the libraries in musky country. (I got a copy sent all the way to PA from Minnesota.)

What were the Early Years? 1920s, 1930s, or later. One good book--informationally--that came after that period was Tony Rizzo's Secrets Of A Musky Guide (I). You can see a contrast between Tony's attitude toward the catch; and the catch and release ethic now prevailing. As another guy mentioned, Len Hartman's Before I Forget is good if you can find a copy. Check the libraries in musky country. (I got a copy sent all the way to PA from Minnesota.)