Thread: Truck Tires

Truck Tires

Looking to buy new tires for my 2006 F150 before the snow. I am eyeing up Goodyear Duratrak, Silent Armor and Dunlop Fierce Attitude. Any guys out there have either of these and have any input? Or any other tire preference? Not looking to break the bank on tires but would like something aggressive looking. Also I have 265/70/17 now but would like to upgrade to a 285/70/17. Have heard this is ok to do and that it can cause uneven wear. Any thoughts?

Thanks

RE: Truck Tires

I run BF goodrich A/T 315/75/17 on my 2500 ram. I run them at 50 psi which helps them wear a little more even, but stiffens up the ride. My father in law has the same tires on his truck and he runs them at 30 psi and it rides like a cadillac. If you run them at the recommended pressure and you don't have 5 tons in the bed you will wear the centers out.

I used to run Cooper 35 x 12.50 and I could only get about 25-30k on them before the fronts were junk. I think the extra weight of the diesel helped wear the fronts alot quicker than the ones in the rear.

They were both good tires with an aggressive look and they actually handled the snow pretty well for a wide tire. The only time you really noticed a difference is if you were in deep snow, they had a tendency to want to "climb up" and then break through instead of just cutting through like a thinner tire would.

You might get a little tire rub on a F-150 with 285's, especially with the wheels cranked when you are backing up. Most of the time though it's just touching that big splash guard in the wheel well. A little creative modifications (i.e, cutting and removing an inch or two)will fix that right up.

My 2005 F150 came with 255/70/17. I am currently running 265/70/17 BF G’s A/T and am happy with the tire. I like this tire better, I think, than the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 tires I had on prior.

If you are looking for aggressive you probably care less about mileage. However, keep in mind going up in tire size will probably drop your gas mileage down a bit. Mine dropped a couple a MPG just going from the 255 to 265, and that is while running a tuner so I could adjust for the tire size switch.

If you want is an aggressive looking tire and could care less about mileage and road noise, it is pretty tough to beat a mud tire. I was quite fond of the Goodyear MTR’s I had about 10 years ago. Way many more brands to choose from now that have some pretty bad @ss looking tires. That MTR was a tire that worked great in deep snow on the lakes in the winter as well.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

Keep in mind the first number of the tire is the width of the tire, and not the height. The second number determines the height based on the width. So if all you are looking for is a taller tire but not wider, then look at changing the second number. You could actually get a 255/80/17 tire and it would be taller than a 285/70/17. 33.1” tall on the 255/80 compared to 32.8” on the 285/70.

Here is how the math works out if not understood.

255/80/17: 255mm/25.4=10.04” wide10.04”x.8=8.03”8.03”x2=16.06”16.06”+17”=33. 06”

285/70/17: 285mm/25.4=11.22” wide11.22”x.7=7.85”7.85”x2=15.71”15.71”+17”=32. 71”

Here is a 255/80/17 with an aggressive tread - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...80&diameter=17

May be more than you want to spend, but at least you get an idea of the number game you can play.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

best of the best is the michellin ltx/mx tires. i've gottent up to 90k on a set. expect 70 and depending on how and where you drive you could get more.

the cooper discovery series is another good tire and a little less jingle than the michellins.

my truck has 218k and came with junk GY's trail sumpin-or-nuther that only lasted 30k ... just put on the 3rd set of of michellin ltx/mx's.

when you shop for cheap tires make sure to divide the cost over the use. like just about anything, there is a reason why some are more expensive ...

I agree the Michelin LTX tires are good. Haven’t run them in awhile though.

Mileage on a tire doesn’t necessarily make it a good or bad tire though. There is a trade off on rubber hardness, and traction. Also how the tires are used dictates wear (straight highway mileage vs. curvy roads vs offroad etc…). That said those Michelins from what I recall had decent traction.

I have never seen more than 60K a set of tires, and I ran the LTX. So the mileage you get on a tire is just like how some get a big MPG difference with the same vehicle. Driving style and conditions make a huge difference. I am known to be a bit heavy footed.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

>I agree the Michelin LTX tires are good. Haven’t run them in
    >awhile though.
    >
    >Mileage on a tire doesn’t necessarily make it a good or bad
    >tire though. There is a trade off on rubber hardness, and
    >traction. Also how the tires are used dictates wear (straight
    >highway mileage vs. curvy roads vs offroad etc…). That said
    >those Michelins from what I recall had decent traction.
    >
    >I have never seen more than 60K a set of tires, and I ran the
    >LTX. So the mileage you get on a tire is just like how some
    >get a big MPG difference with the same vehicle. Driving style
    >and conditions make a huge difference. I am known to be a bit
    >heavy footed.
    >
    >Travis Kopke
    >
    >"Let em go, Let em grow"

we're talkin' driving trucks and pulling boats? or off-roading and wanting the truck to look cool??

set the cruise at 72mph and sit for 4-7 hours is 70% of my driving and the rest is jumping around with a trailer being pulled ... same experience with those tires on an f250, dodge 3500 dually, dodge 2500 and a lx470. 70k was when i started to pay attention to when they needed to change on each vehicle. if less than 70k i wouldn't pay the money. i've tried cooper discoveries and beat 60k ...

the diesel tends to take the lead out of your foot (so does a drive through rosendale) ... but, then i got 100k miles before having to put on new brakes on this truck too ... 218k and changed brakes 2 times.

i'm gonna drive it to 500k then shoot it like you would an old horse

i put a set of the new GY Wrangler silent armor's (275/65/18) on my 08 F150 back in early may. have about 15k on em already. rotated a few times. they have some kind of new kevlar type rubber that is not supposed to wear as fast as some of the other top shelf skins out there. they seem to be holding up quite nice i think. i pull a 620 all over the musky range as well with em. anxious to see how they per form in winter. good aggresive tread on em too.

chris uttech

My point exactly Sled as 70% of your driving sounds to be highway, straight shot stuff. That’s not too rough on tire wear really.

My experience was using a truck as a truck, and as my only vehicle. So say 50% highway to work (35 min each way), and then the other driving lots of little twisty roads with boat in tow. Also lots of backroading looking for grouse, and deer hunting spots. Lots of gravel travel, and seeing my fair share of mud. A few 4 tire spins in late fall trying to pull the boat out of some landings were called for as well. That is where those MTR’s sure were nice…except for the mud in the boat!

Rosendale never slowed me down, and I consider myself lucky when I travelled through there every other weekend back when I had the MTR’s on.

A diesel doesn’t seem to cure my lead foot either.

My days of owning a truck that looked bad @ss are over, but I still get about the same tire wear. Well a smidge better now but not 30-40K better that’s for sure. So like I said earlier driving style and conditions makes a difference in tire wear.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

do yourself a favor and get a frontend alignment on your truck when you get your new tires ,,, your truck is five years old and could probably use an alignment by now ,,, and rotate your tires every 5000 miles ,,, keep an eye on the tire pressure ,,, all this will help extend the tire life --- jim