Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was wrong about the Yukon

RE: I was wrong about the Yukon

I guess that maybe the claims about what a vehicle is supposed to be able to tow just can't totally be trusted. There is also the fact that knowing I won't be in a vehicle long makes me a bit less careful to drive a bit slower pulling a trailer. Anyway, I still love this car...I just don't think it has the cajones to pull a 620 without trashing the tranny and the brakes.

228,000 miles on a ford f-250 turbo-diesel supercrew
    - (2) sets of brakes
    - fourth set of tires just put on (1st set junk ... michellin stx are worth the money!)

other than living through the emissions nightmare of the 6.0litre design flaws (behind me now) ... it's ready to run another 200k.

the size of boats and corresponding need for big trucks and big garages really puzzles me. i suppose they still have the market so keep building them bigger but at some point it seems like the bubble has to burst. 1/2 tons are continually getting watered down ... argue all you want but they are what they are.

i paid i think $38k for mine under the x-plan ... to replace it today would cost me $55-60k. ridiculous.

as this becomes a truck thread ... i'll put my experience in. i drive between 40-60k miles a year and had 3 trucks the past 12 years (2) dodges ... one 6cyl turbo-diesel (tranny shot at 90k miles), one HO Cummins Dodge Dually (first year and 8-10mpg's so tossed it after 4 months), and this one '05 f250 ...

there is no perfect tow vehicle but if there is one it would have a diesel motor. if wishes were horses. i'd like to have:

- a new Cummins HO
    - a Ford Interior
    - an Allison Transmission
    - in dark blue with slot mags

With a Yukon or any truck, the way it is equiped makes a huge difference. For a heavy boat, you would need the heavy duty towing package, not the standard towing package. You get things like a beefed up tranny cooler, engine oil cooler, increased engine cooling, steeper rear gear, etc. I have a Yukon XL and it will tow, comes with the factory towing package but it is not the heavy duty towing package.

My last vehicle was a Chev P/U and I towed a 27' travel trailer, with slide outs, no problems. Had the heavy duty tow package and in addition to the standard tranny cooler, I had an after market tranny cooler added at the chevy dealer when it was new. I also increased the frequency of the tranny fluid flushes and replacement. Keeping tranny fluid cool and fresh is key. Truck still pulls strong at 18 yrs of age and 175k.

Had I planned on pulling anything over 3,000 with the XL, I would have gone the same route.

the VW Touareg tdi alternative

An alternative for your consideration is the 3.0L turbo diesel Touareg. It is rated as 235 hp & over 400 lb-ft of pulling power. A 6 speed auto transmission & all wheel drive are standard. It is rated to tow 7600 lbs & people pull large boats & sports cars with it. I get 18-21 mpg pulling my Lund [relatively light boat compared to fiberglass] depending on the terrain & headwind. Unhook the trailer & I get 25 mpg on the highway. In 18 months of use, my 2010 Touareg has been in for regular 1 year service only. Disadvantages: Initial cost of the vehicle, diesel prices, service costs - if needed, & size [only a mid-size SUV]. One thought on gas v. diesel prices. Diesel has 20% more energy per gallon than regular gasoline, so unless diesel price exceeds gasoline by 20%, the costs are similar. I don't expect people to go diesel, but contact me if you have questions.

if you are going to continue to tow a 3500+ pound boat,motor,trailer,batteries,tank of gas,fishing gear, etc ,, get at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle with all the heavy duty brakes,transmission,engine cooling,tranny cooling options ,,, there is a BIG difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton tow vehicle ,,,, OR get a new boat that weighs less ,,,, dont forget your high school physics ,, F=MxA ,, it works for acceleration as well as decelleration ,,, the more Mass you have , the more Force you need for accelleration and braking ---- the next time you buy a new tow vehicle , get with a "truck guy" salesman and order exactly what you need for your towing purposes ---- jim

> ,,,, dont
    >forget your high school physics ,, F=MxA ,,>

I don't mind being wrong about saying what a great tow vehicle it was...I don't mind being wrong about Brett Farve "Maybe" turning out to be just a bit of a butt-hole after all...I don't mind being wrong about a lot of musky stuff....I don't even mind a certain guy on this board who likes to keep a running total of how many tournaments I have not won per number of posts I have made about tournaments. I can take all that....but I am not about to sit here and have somebody remind me about high school physics. That's just not fair. There is no IQ or minimum education requirement for posting on this board or anyplace where it says folks should remind you that maybe if I understood what the teacher was saying that I might be a doctor or something important enough that I wouldn't be doing this in the middle of the gosh-darn day. This is an internet forum where anybody who feels like showing the whole wide world that he didn't do so good in high school has a total right to do it. And what the hell is F=MxA?????????????

Marty --- whoa ,,, take it easy here ,,, forget the whole F=MxA (Force equals Mass times Acceleration)thing ,,, just saying that a heavy boat needs a heavy duty tow vehicle (3/4 tonner) with heavy duty brakes and all the coolers you can buy ----- by the way ,, still having good luck on the 9" weighted Suick in the "Bronze Perch" color pattern on Pewaukee Lake ,, just working it with short pulls and a little on the slow side ---- gooood luck to you ---- Jim

>>>>F=MxA (Force equals Mass times Acceleration)

Dopey me, I thought it was force equals mass times action. I feel like such an idiot!! ;( :D

Nate --- LOL tothemax !!! ----- jim