Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was wrong about the Yukon

I was wrong about the Yukon

I am starting to feel a few pangs of guilt about comments I made regarding the GMC Yukon pulling my 619 and now 620. Obviously, what goes for the Yukon clearly goes for the Chevy Tahoe and prbably also goes for similar SUV's. Anyway, I have been long convinced that I had the ultimate tow vehicle for my boat...but I guess I have to say that I was wrong. Why so long to admit (discover) it? I am lucky (unlucky??)enough that I put on a whole lot of miles and the company buys me a new vehicle every year or year and a half. I just traded again and was a bit embarassed to be told that, after just one year and 40,000 miles, my tranny was totally tired and the alloy wheels had been badly burned (turned to a golden brown color) (again!!)by the heat of the brakes trying to slow my 620 from the 70-75 MPH I like to drive on the turnpike. So, yea, I drive pretty fast, and yea, I sure go to a lot of tournaments for a guy who doesn't win them.....but if you are going to buy your own truck with your own money, and then plan to keep it for a long time like most guys do....well, I take all I said about this car back. I love my Denali, am not about to change as long I get them on the company ....but pulling a 620 will not go without a lot of wear and tear on this car.

RE: I was wrong about the Yukon

Next time your 620 is in my neck of the woods we will hook my Ram to it and see if you like how that pulls it. The 6.7 cummins aint the best on fuel but it'll pull a house. Either that or you can just hook up one of those granite's to it, I know that'll do the trick.;-)

Ranger trailers have surge brakes, i thought those were suppose to take some of the stress off of the tow vehicles brakes??

Marty if you love your Denali why don't you look into a 3/4 ton Suburban or Yukon XL?

> Ranger trailers have surge brakes, i thought those were
    >suppose to take some of the stress off of the tow vehicles
    >brakes??

Not if you drive the snot out of it.......
    :7 :7

next time i talk to my buddies in China i'll ask them to talk to the Board of Directors in Shanghai and see what can be done to beef up the GM drive-train.

Ain't the first time a GM tranny was tired so soon. My snowmobiling friend had a yukon as well,. at 37k, it was also tired. All we did was pull sleds around most of the time. But i will never forget all the wonderful transmission fluid all over my new Apex cover.

Marty with the new vehicle try running some Lucas tranny additive to see if that helps you at all.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

>Marty with the new vehicle try running some Lucas tranny
    >additive to see if that helps you at all.
    >
    >Travis Kopke
    >
    >"Let em go, Let em grow"

interpreted ... "put some lipstick on your new pig marty"

>interpreted ... "put some lipstick on your new pig
    >marty"

Actually right.......because very few guys really know how to match there tow vehicle with the towed object. The Yukon type vehicle is not set up to pull that rig safely at those speeds.....good for going to the store for groceries though.

Soooo many think that it's fine to pull around alot of dead weight without figuring out if the vehicle is really setup for it....
    Most SUVS are nothing more than weak 1/2 ton chassis with 4wd.....and car brakes.

as stated above....3/4 Ton, will get it done......so much better than standard stuff......safely......
    otherwise, without other measures.... you are really pushing it.

Roger Treadwell

*Eldrick Woods School of Class, 2011 Graduate
    *Team Johnsonville Field General/ Shore lunch Champion
    *Tuffy Boats Hull Demolition Captain

> Most SUVS are nothing more than weak 1/2 ton chassis with
    >4wd.....and car brakes.

Bingo! My wife had a Ford Explorer that we bought brand new. When we traded it off after 78,000 miles it was on its third set of brakes -- and had never been used for towing. Between brakes, sensors going out and lousy mileage we were glad to be rid of it.

Now she drives a Ford Escape and loves it. 26 mpg and no repairs, just regular maintenance.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com