Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water temps "up north"

RE: Water temps "up north"

Top half lotw is 60

I've seen weeds in some lakes at their highest of the year in the past few days. One clear lake I fish has weeds growing to the surface in 24 feet of water.

I don't think I've adjusted too well, based on my lousy catch rate since the 2nd day of the warm front.

Today I fished Island lake on the Manitowish chain. I finally caught a short musky, about 30 inches. Fish came from about 8 feet on a weedline that drops off to about 20 feet. The weeds were thick with baitfish. The gulls were picking them off over a period of 4-5 hours.

Caught a decent largemouth bass in about 6 feet in weeds. Still disappointing, as I was fishing a lake where I had my largest hooked fish... deep, mid-upper 50 incher that didn't stay hooked long. (many years ago) I didn't see any decent fish, though I did have another short follow too.

As usual, I fished (crankbait and bucktail) suspended fish over a hump that tops out at 14 feet, surrounded by 28 feet... without any positive results, but I keep trying. I generally fish about 50% over deep water, and 50% near or over weeds, though allmost all my fish have come from the weeds, so it would appear I'm wasting my time over open water... based on decades of results.

What I find frustrating about that is that I know row trollers (Ellis) fished the same open water and caught fish... so it's obvious he did it better than me.

Lots of different conditions where I've been this year. Interestingly a lack of usual weeds has been the theme.

Most recently, this warming trend seems to have driven the better fish from the edges and shallows. I still observed a number of fish cruising in very shallow water, but they were all small, like 30" might be the high end.

The one better fish (43") we contacted was riding with a ball of baitfish about 12-15 down over 25 FOW. That would lend the row trolling connection some credence..........

/mike

Kenora,s econd week of Oct. Short sleeve shirt, no jacket kinds of sums it up .....warm

southeastern wisconsin ,,, pewaukee lake was 65 degrees yesterday ----

Bigfish, Obviously, trolling the open water is very effective if done right, whether rowing or motoring. You can control the depth of your lure precisely and keep it in the zone you desire for as long as you want. Maybe you are keying too much on the structures, like humps, fishing the tops, while the fish might be a couple casts off the structure. Just a thought.

If you read Pearson's book on fishing shield lakes, one of the things he stresses for clear water is depth of those humps and locations of fish. The deeper the hump the more likely the baitfish will be on top and the active predators close to that level but off to the sides, opposite the locations on shallower humps where the muskies and pike will use the top and the baitfish will be to the sides. Pretty much what I've seen too on a much more limited scale, as if my experiences could hold a candle to Pearson's. So maybe when you fish those humps you just need to get out away from them farther?

se wisconsin: okauchee on monday was 61-65 deg. 1 layzeeee follow.:-(

60 on Lake Tomahawk this afternoon. Caught a few bass on 12 inch bucktails... no muskies.

Any updates on water temps near Vilas? Fishing Iron Co. Mich. this week.

LOTWs Angle area cooling off. 53-55 in most areas and falling.

Doug J