Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scents... Do They Work?

Scents... Do They Work?

So I was pondering back to one of my old Musky Hunter magazines (June/July 2004) and came across an article titled “Scent Secrets” written by Rick Riley. He describes how he uses foam earplugs as scent pads. He cuts off a small piece, smashes them down to compress the size, and then places them into a jar of scent. As they expand, they absorb the scent as it lasts for quite some time. He then pierces the earplug to one of the hooks.

Last fall, I periodically played around with using some scent pods on jigs and plastic pull baits. The scent pods that I experimented with were scent wicks that bow hunter’s use to lure in bucks with scent. I would cut them down to size, punch a whole into the center, slip the shank of the hook through center of the wick, and finally snap the hook back to the lure. I was using some Pike/Musky scent that I had picked up from Cabalas. I caught one musky during the short experimental period.

I was curious to here if any of you have experimented with the use of scents. If so, have you noticed more than usual strikes occurring? What kinds of baits have you found them to be the most effective on? Have you ever played around with making homemade scents? What brands of scents have you had success with? Do you think it could give you an upper edge when the water clarity is extremely poor? Could it be the key to triggering deep neutral fish?

I’m looking forward to experimenting again this season. The thrill of trying something new is always exciting to me, especially if it turns out to be a success! Your responses and offering of information to this post is greatly appreciated. Good luck to all for the and stay safe on the water.
    Justin Blanchar
    Vibrations Tackle, LLC
    http://www.VibrationsTackle.com/

RE: Scents... Do They Work?

This question has been posed numerous times, usually with the same response that muskies dont care about scent. As yet, I have not come to a conclusion as to whether the scent doesnt work or if the people using it (with success) just dont want everyone else using it. I say try it and post your findings.

I'm not sure if scents help but if you have a bad scent like gas on your lure just throw it in the trash!

I've used scents quite a bit and they work. They work at spilling in your storage, and on your carpet. They stain all plastic and glass. They oil up maraboo to make it look like my hair in 5th grade. Just keep it in the jar or bottle because it can be a real pain in the boat.

I find rubbing Evercalm on the bottom of my boots keeps my friends from shouting when a fish comes in close. Deer like it, too.

I got into scents pretty good in the late 70's and 80's fishing for walleyes, bass, trout/salmon and carp. They seemed to make a difference in the number of hits when you were using an ultra slow presentation like ice fishing, or plastic worming, or soaking baitballs. They definitely provoked slightly larger fish on average but NOT more numbers when trolling on lake Michigan for trout/salmon. For musky and pike they pretty much just stained the deer hair brown or sprayed all over the boat on casts but as far as making them hit or getting larger ones to hit, they were pretty much useless. Probably haven't used scent for the last twenty years fishing esocidae and haven't missed it either.

If you don't like the mess of the liquid stuff, then try the Gulp type stuff. ;)

They don't seem to mind the Herring and Anise Oil I have been putting on my custom made rubber tails for hardheads!

The thing with scents and Muskies is you just don’t catch enough fish in a day to be able to determine, for sure, if the scent is what made the difference. However, you can get a pretty good idea if by coincidence you have action whenever you add scent to a bait that was previously worthless.

Probably just coincidence but a funny story with scent none the less. Several years ago my brother-in-law and I were chucking dawgs and the action was slow so I added some of that Pike/Musky juice to my dawg and whala a fish in the bag. However I think the boated fish was due to location more than scent. A little farther down I got another, and like usual all hits were coming at the head of the bait. My bro-in-law insisted I add some of that stinky crap to his dawg, so I did. But for grins and as a test I added the scent near the tail of the bait. One I wanted to see his reaction when I told him where I added it and that he would probably miss a fish now that I am persuading the fish where to hit. Just a line of BS to get a rise out of him. Wouldn’t you know it two casts after adding the scent he has a fish on, and loses it. I asked to see the dawg, and by mere coincidence (or was it?) the dawg was shredded right where the scent was added. I got a good laugh at it, as well as my brother in the boat, but my bro-in-law didn’t find it so amusing!

Was the scent a factor…I don’t know. But it sure made for a funny day on the water!

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

I've tried it all and currently don't use any scent on lures. Just when you think it might matter ... it doesn't.

That said, I use a no-scent soap to wash my hands after handling anything that may put an unnatural scent on the lure, such as gas, oil, sunscreen, etc.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I recollect a fisheries old timer in the Washington State area making a video of his downrigger research regarding salmonid behavior entitled "Why fish bite." He tried many attractants on the spoons and videoed fish response. His conclusion was that the only scent that seemed to encourage salmon to bite was bilge water/hydrocarbon sort of thing. I suspect that may be the basis for hearing there are regulations against spraying WD40 on lures. This may be just from water contamination issues although one would think there are far more hydrocarbons in the water from just outboard use.

WD40 has shark oil as an ingredient ... ;-)