Thread: Best Sucker Fishing Weather

Best Sucker Fishing Weather

So, what weather to suckers bite in best? Just kidding.
    What I really mean is that I have read and heard in the past that you need to be out on the coldest, nastiest November day in order to get the best action and the biggest fish. I have been sucker fishing for about 20 years and even though I havenít kept detailed records, I can pretty much say that this hasnít held true for me. I have had some good action on snowy days, but it was a mild day with winds from the SW. My best days have been calmer days with the air temp quite mild. My worst days seem to be high pressure really cold with a strong wind from the N or NE, just like summer fishing. Reading Robís article in MH, it made me think more about this. I think it comes down to better boat control in the calm and the fact that water temp is more important than the air temp. Give me low 40ís to mid 30ís water temps and I will gladly take a warm calm day to fish. Do you sucker ďexpertsĒ agree or disagree?

See the pic below of my buddies 50Ē heavy fish caught after Thanksgiving on a calm day that we could have worn shorts if we really wanted to.

http://www.muskyhunter.com/forum/user_files/2023.jpg

RE: Best Sucker Fishing Weather

I can't remember the last time I picked up a casting rod after the water temp got below 48 degrees. I love calm days, boat control has a lot to do with it. But there is something about those late November days when the wind is blowing and the snow is flying so hard you cant see the other side of the lake that just turns me on. Needless to say I don't have a preference.

edit*
    Looking back at a lot of November sucker pics there is an awful lot of calm water in the background, almost too much to be a coincidence.

1 or 2 warm days in a row during late October or November can be good. If the warm weather lasts longer than that, the fishing generally gets worse in my experience. My favorite conditions are cold and calm. Heavy winds are tough, I like being able to work areas very slowly and carefully during this time of year.

best sucker fishing weather is when they are active... ;o)
    in all seriousness I've had days with 10 hits on suckers in 1 day when it was calm and sunny and other 10 fish days when it was cloudy and somewhat windy.
    imo you can't say what the best weather is... for ease of fishing and boat control I'd rather drag em around in calmer weather than 25mph windy/gusty days

best sucker fishing weather is when they are active... ;o)
    in all seriousness I've had days with 10 hits on suckers in 1 day when it was calm and sunny and other 10 fish days when it was cloudy and somewhat windy.
    imo you can't say what the best weather is... for ease of fishing and boat control I'd rather drag em around in calmer weather than 25mph windy/gusty days

I agree that a long warm spell is bad. I think you need the nasty cold weather first, to get the water temps going down and then a nice calm/mild day or two is good. I'm talking late fall here when the water temps are already bottoming out. We break skim ice on some mornings.
    I have had my share of bad days on calm days, but many good days. If I had to bet, I think it is better sucker presentation that pays off in the calm. In other words, the sucker is swimming freely and not being dragged. On really windy/cold days, most of the hits come as we are going against the wind after it has pushed us in to shallow, etc.

A couple more weeks of waiting, with hopefully some good casting action, and then it's sucker time!

as most said the best is when they are biting but undoubtably the closest to ma sure thing and most predictable bite is n, nw with a front coming through. they gobble.