Thread: Swamp Donkee modifications

Swamp Donkee modifications

Fellow Musky Nuts

I have recently lost two nice fish at boatside on the same lure. The lure I am using is called a swamp donkee and on both occasions, following boatside strikes, the fish have opened their mouths and the lure simply flys out. During the most recent incident I felt I had the fish hooked, it was taking line, and I was fighting it for roughly 30 seconds. It seems as though the hooks just aren't finding the sweet spot.

Has anyone else had similar issues with this lure? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to modify this lure? Or perhaps just have some suggestions for me and my fish fighting skills!

Thanks

Jon

RE: Swamp Donkee modifications

I fish em, the lures come out of eastern Canada. I think it's been bad luck. Are you really seting the hook hard enough? The only modification i do to the bait is cut the whiskers and the thin funny side fins off.

Good luck!

Replace the factory hooks with 7/0's and sharpen the snot out of them. THe factory hooks are thin in compared to the profile of the bait... Just one mans opinion but I do this with most all plastic baits. MagDawgs and Pounders get Mustad 8/0's (plus I do not like the round hooks they come with..) and 2 pounders and mega suzy's get 9/0's...