View Poll Results: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-Bone - Side out

1 10.00%
  • T-Bone - Belly out

9 90.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

RE: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

>I think Scut and Grover think Im you Sport.

assuming i'm referenced here ... no, john it's not about you here.

RE: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

I think it depends on how you run your suckers.... if your sucker is suspended off the bottom a few feet or more, I think they come up and grab them belly side in.... if youre running your suckers right on the bottom,where a sucker wants to be, a musky has no choice but to grab it with the back of the sucker facing in......IMO
    J Glass

I just want to thank Steve for taking the time here to share his thoughts on live bait.

Not only on this thread, but the other one he posted. In my opinion, you can't get enough input on any subject like this, then disect what you want, and go your own way.

Why does everything here lately become an extension fest and a bashing session ?? Nice to hear about other techniques and options. it's invaluable.

>I think it depends on how you run your suckers.... if your
    >sucker is suspended off the bottom a few feet or more, I think
    >they come up and grab them belly side in.... if youre running
    >your suckers right on the bottom,where a sucker wants to be,
    >a musky has no choice but to grab it with the back of the
    >sucker facing in......IMO
    >.
    >.
    >J Glass
    Seriously?

please no knock arounds,comparisons,or degrading anyones accomplishments everyones views,observations,and accomplishments are needed and there are no absolutes for sure. jimmy kinda got me thinking,could be something to that as i typically run a down line 2-4' off bottom in less than 18' of water and anywhere from 2-8' off bottom in 18'-30'of water depending of course on what i'm seeing going on.when running free swimmers on long lines or off planners they can be anywhere. it's just honestly i could probably count on my hand how many i've personally seen holding baits that way thus the hook placement for me and what i could add for others asking.

How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

Looking for some feedback on what you have all experienced while sucker fishing. Only looking for you to respond to what you have seen physically, or know for certain, as I know plenty of people like to take a peek at how a fish has a sucker before setting the hook.

Also explain your findings if you could on whether you typically fish deep or shallow, and if both if there is a difference in how they grab them depending on where you are fishing. Thought this could perhaps raise some awareness and make people think on how they are rigging suckers since the time of the season is here.

Gentlemen, I would hope we are capable of having a civil discussion about livebait.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

RE: Deleted message

JGlass hit on part of what I was trying to get at with this poll. First thing was to get others, and myself, thinking on where could be the best place to hook the sucker the majority of the time. There will always be exceptions. However to take it a step further I think we need to think about where we hook the sucker in relation to how we typically fish the sucker. I for one have a much better hooking percentage on fish that I am fishing in 20í+ of water, and am running the sucker almost on bottom. When I am running shallower, as well as running my sucker much higher up in the water column, my percentage flat out stinks. Sucker is hooked in the same spot (top left side as Brad mentions he does) in both situations.

What I find interesting is how few people actual did the poll, and what the results actually say. Only one indicated a T-Bone with the side out. The rest are belly out (backside in) although I assume Herbie never did the poll portion, and thus there should be one with backside out (belly in). The reason I asked this is I have never physically seen a fish grab one belly in. However, I only take a peek at the fish that I have eat in shallower water. The deep fish I donít try and take a peek. Anyway I have heard others hook the sucker near the belly, but my thoughts based on what I have seen is that would be a poor place if the majority of the time the belly is out. Then you are simply relying on the hook luckily finding the fishes mouth when you set back against the grain.

Herbie has made me think about this more with his thoughts.

One reason I thought the fish I see have the fish belly out is this. Itís a fish that has been following the sucker. The suckers in my boat, while fishing higher in the column, have gotten eaten when the sucker attempts to swim away from the musky. So the sucker starts swimming up away from the musky. It is at this point the fish attacks and gets the backside in.

Perhaps the aggressive fish that just eat without following grab belly in. Also those in deep water that didnít follow a lure in, and thus could likely would be less spooky and donít follow the sucker as much either.

I think a lot about this as I prefer rigs with single hooks. Say what you will about it not mattering with two hooks, but my experience on the waters I fish is the cleaner the rig the more takes I get in a day. Two hook rigs just donít get eaten much on the ultra clear waters. So the question becomes where is the best absolute position for a single hook on a large suckerÖ16Ē+?

Herbie is right in I have never seen teeth marks on the back of a sucker. Always on the side or belly. So that would tell me I should always put the hook along the side, or cheat to the belly.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

RE: "RE: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?"

so what makes more sense?
    using a 1 hook rig and getting more hits but not hooking/landing as many.(you said your percentage isn't so hot)

OR:

using a 2 hook rig and hooking more...?

i find it hard to believe even in clear water your bites will be dramatically more putting one more hook on vs 2....I run one lead from the fluoro section back with both hooks....1 hook vs 2 isn't a lot more on the rig...you could use say 3/0's if you think that one extra hook on the sucker is going to get you more bites...

Herbie says muskies will have the bellys in the back of their mouths...ie top of sucker facing out but you and I have both seen countless fish w the bellys out....maybe Canada fish are different...?
    ;0)
    guess I'll go by what I see, not read.

take it for what it's worth or not but I get 75% or more every season on suckers...

as for people not believing the right eye dominant thing ...that's fine too....if 1000 fish were videotaped hitting a crankbait trolled behind a downrigger ball and 70% hit it from the right as you look at the bait would that be data to convince someone or would it just be a fluke? what if 10,000 fish were videotaped w same results?

Ironically on my last trip to MN I had a musky following in a bucktail that actually bumped or nipped it on the way 2 x (thought it was a pike) ...just as I spotted the bait and the fish (50"er) it kicked up it's speed and swung around to the left of the bait (right as you look at bait) and t boned the bucktail in the blink of an eye...
    my hooks will continue to stay on the upper left side of the sucker and I'm sure I'll keep missing some.....but I'll get a lot more than I miss... ;0)
    that's the goal right.

RE: "RE: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?"

Brad believe what you want but I see it every year. Single hook rigs get a lot more takesÖfor me. I ran your rigs last year, and didnít get as many hits as I did on any of the single hook rigs. Maybe just the year.

As far as not hooking with one versus two. Part of the issue is probably my hookset for one. I just plain suck regardless if it is one hook or two. I could probably have three and stink it up. So I am not convinced it is how many hooks that are messing with my hooking percentage. Personally I will take more hits over the less hits. Reason being is then itís a matter of figuring out what needs to be done to get the hook to find home more often. Again I am not convinced it is because of only using one hookÖin terms of qty of hooks and not placement. Pretty sure once I find the right placement I will be golden.

However, perhaps two hooks with all fluoro will be the best of both worlds.

Others in my boat usually have a better hooking percentage than me.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"