View Poll Results: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-Bone - Side out

1 10.00%
  • T-Bone - Belly out

9 90.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

RE: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

I've seen them grab baits/suckers from the tail, the head, or T-bone it. More often then not they'll t-bone it but realisticly, ya just never know.

RE: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

i guess i agree to disagree,yes they will grab them by the tail or the head both of which are not always but most likely and typically smaller fish and neutral fish and/or you're running a tail gunner but if they are serious,are a decent fish,and it's a decent sized bait they will have it somewhat mid ship and the belly will be in the back of thier mouth,it's the softest and most vulnurable part and it's natures way.
    i also have pulled up hundreds,followed many in gin clear water and have never seen one back side in unless it was a very small bait. also have never seen a hit sucker and i've held alot that has EVER had teeth marks on top of it's back thus lower hook placement and one on each side is always better,less to see on ea side,you don't know which side is up or down not that it even really matters you just want them staggered for however they hit it whether it's perfect or a bit forward or a bit back and i don't believe the one eye dominate crap unless maybe they are maybe blind in one eye.

always and never are pretty strong statements in any post ....
    I will start taking pictures of chewed up suckers to show that they don't "always" have the belly in...just last weekend we boated 6 of 7 fish that hit our suckers and there were fish that we raised up and the belly was facing OUT... could they turn them later to put the belly in...sure but we put enough on suckers in the boat per season to see lots of things...and their bellys are never "always" facing in....maybe it's the size suckers we use compared to others...12-15 are typically what I run in WI..much larger in MN
    regardless, to each their own, i've had enough experiences with live bait and catching fish up to 45 lbs on live bait to know what works and many of my friends in MN who catch big ones put them in the same spot I do...
    so there are 2 ways to skin a cat... ;o)

Ok Brad you called me out. Here goes. So what you are saying is that you feel that your observations have tended to show that the fish seem to grab the bait one particular way and this is why you rig the suckers the way you do. Have you ever given any thought to the way the fish grabe the sucker and the current weather pattern? I was wondering if fish tend to be less agressive post frontal and tail nip rather that chomp down?

not really...maybe I should... I do what has been working well and have tinkered with placement and the rigs enough to think the way we place them and the rigs themselves are pretty solid.. could there be a better way, sure, nothing is perfect but it works for us...

Alright question #2 Have you noticed any difference based upon water clairety? Do fish in dark stained water hit suckers differently that in clear water?

>Alright question #2 Have you noticed any difference based
    >upon water clairety? Do fish in dark stained water hit suckers
    >differently that in clear water?

what do they do on webster sport?

John, with out the risk of sounding rude. I really don't know. I have never fished suckers on Webster.

Maybe this is less a case of "how the musky grabs the sucker" and more to the mechanics of what happens WHEN the muskie grabs the sucker? Think about it... Whatever unforutunate prey happens to be the victim of that strike is swimming upright at the time.

The motion of the muskie opening its mouth and flaring its gills creates a vacuum, which draws the prey into its mouth. With an upright prey fish in front of that vacuum, that motion (to me at least) should result in the belly of the sucker being pulled into the muskies mouth first, much the same way a lure would "tilt" under the same conditions. Perhaps the fact that the top jaw protrudes a bit more contributes to that too...

As to hooking on one side or the other? Assuming the belly-first rotation of the fish is correct, I think you would want the hooks on the side of the sucker that would then be facing up, as you'll have a lot better chance of driving those hooks home and keeping the fish pinned when you set the hook.

In a scenario where you are casting and dragging a sucker, I think you'd want the hooks on whichever side of the sucker is facing away from your boat, because that's most likely the direction the muskie is going to be coming from when it eats that sucker. If you're not moving, and the sucker is just swimming around freely, I think it's pretty much a crapshoot.

It's something I've never thought about. I think Steve's one-on-each-side method probably would get you the best hooking percentages, but I typically only use a single treble hook on my suckers.

Something to think about for sure!

I think Scut and Grover think Im you Sport.