View Poll Results: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-Bone - Side out

1 10.00%
  • T-Bone - Belly out

9 90.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

RE: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

from my experience they grab them differently at times than other times...i know there are times where for whatever reason, whether it's the water temps, weather or just their activity level they will grab them by the tail...this might go on for days...then you come back a week later and everyone is t boned and you get hooks into em...
    i will say that I have been rigging my suckers w both hooks on the upper left side (as you look tail to nose) and my hooking percentage has been around 80% the last few seasons...and I typically will get 50 or more hits on suckers per season...

RE: How does a musky typically (majority of the time) grab a sucker, or any other large forage species?

Upper left side? Really? I for one would love to know the reason or rational?

I love sucker fishing, and wait all year for it to return. There are seasons when I go 27 for 35, and there are those when I go 8 for 30. I always try to stay somewhat consistant with my sucker size, but availability as we all know sometimes dictates that. Tail grabbers are the biggest complaint I have but then again human error is a factor I know.

I for one hope to gleen some info from this post that will help in the weeks to come.

Jonh

yes, upper left side...I have my reasons and theorys...some studies have suggested muskies are right eye dominant...video of muskies striking baits being trolled where I think it was 65 or 70% of the time they hit the left side of the lure vs right..not sure I put stock in that but I know what works for me and I'll keep doing it..my batting avg is as good as anyones imo..... i know my batting average has gone up a lot ... could be the rod, could be the rig (make my own) could be a mixture of things but I don't miss too many...now the guys in my boat on the other hand...sallys! ;0)
    but i'm sure the real fish magicians like Sport will start to zing me for some reason or another...

Lets keep it civilized.

I have heard the same thing as Brad on right eye dominant, but not sure how I see that equating to hitting the left side. Really would depend on how the fish approaches the sucker.

I will post my experience later. I think a lot of us have the potential to learn from this thread if we get some good, willing participants. :7 I think by realizing how a fish is eating a sucker we can make a pretty good guess at how/why they are hitting it where they are, and also the best place for hook placement as Brad has already mentioned.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

>Lets keep it civilized.
    >
    >I have heard the same thing as Brad on right eye dominant, but
    >not sure how I see that equating to hitting the left side.
    >Really would depend on how the fish approaches the sucker.
    >
    >I will post my experience later. I think a lot of us have the
    >potential to learn from this thread if we get some good,
    >willing participants. :7 I think by realizing how a fish is
    >eating a sucker we can make a pretty good guess at how/why
    >they are hitting it where they are, and also the best place
    >for hook placement as Brad has already mentioned.
    >
    >
    >Travis Kopke
    >
    >"Let em go, Let em grow"

hot fish chasing baits that eat em ... i've seen the same thing as mentioned. fish catches up to the bait on the bait's left (your right) when it eats and if behind goes into the eight. not sure where but this was discussed at length somewhere a year or two ago and i remember having an a-ha moment.

i remember the discussion because so many were thinking it would change the direction of their figure 8 considering it would improve hook-ups. some solid experience was represented in the discussion ... counter to the way most people engage a fish boatside but worth the consideration.

As a musky approaches it's prey, live suckers in this case, the prey attempts to evacuate the area, which in turn will more than likely have the predator following the prey.

Brad's left side hook placement is spot on and was discussed a few falls ago......M1 site and one another site briefly...

Now my take on the tail nippers is when the fish are neutral or negative mood it's a "get out of my area or else" strike or possibly just curiosity buy the predator. When this seems to be the mood for the day, my suckers either get more weight or tails cut off.

The smashers are mostly always t-boned and a guy can bet on the right side strike more often than not in my experiance.

On a funny side note caught a high 30's fish once figure eighting the sucker rig after a wiff on the hook set.

The fish was shallow under the boat, I cracked it hard on the hook set and the sucker went flying one way with the musky hooked only for mili-seconds.

Looked down in the water and seen the musky just sitting there "finning" only about a foot or two below the surface. I came around with the rod and now "unloaded" sucker rig, 8'ed right in front of her fast and she smashed it.

Muskies are stupid fish sometimes.

Hello I have experimented with hook placement of the trailing hook on my home made rigs and came up with high left about 2/3rds of the way down the sucker. My hook placement is almost on top just hanging off the left side. From the visual bite marks on suckers everyone except the tail biters had the top of the sucker in there mouth. Since rigging this way have not missed getting the hooks into one. I think a lot has to do with the way the rig is attached to the sucker if the rig breaks free of the sucker when you set the hook you have a better chance at getting hooks in to her.
    Just my experience Jim

muskies will always have the soft belly in the back of thier mouth where the big eye teeth are unless it is a very small bait. where the actually grab the sucker is dependant on activity level,size of the bait,and size of the fish.
    if you place hooks near or at top of the baits you will miss more fish than need be.you'll never see tear/teeth marks on a suckers back.
    hooks should be bottom 1/3 of the bait,one 1/2 between front pec and dorsel 2nd 1/2 between dorsel and back pec or slightly closer to back pec so they are further into it's mouth and set hooks at angle with fish going slightly away and you'll get a high % in the corner.

guess I tend to disagree a little on the way they hold them as I have lifted plenty of fish up to see how they have them before setting the hook ...often times the fishes belly is down in the bottom of the mouth, other times, belly is facing out...not sure where it was but there were some statistics posted by a guy who put a video camera on a downrigger ball and watched the muskies come up and hit the baits...a majority of the fish tboned the bait swinging out to the right as you looked at the bait from the downrigger ball... hence why i put them on the left side..as far as placement of the hooks, I guess there is no absolute answer as I put my hooks 3/4 up the side of the sucker and my hookup % is very high...do what you have confidence in and what produces the best results...