Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sucker rod

sucker rod

Hello everyone...been looking at this forum for a long time and now Im a 1st time poster....what are people using for sucker rods? Ive been using an 8` XH w/ 150lb braid and I think Im just ripping the hook rite out of the fish....been thinking of backing down to a heavy or maybe even MH....fiberglass of course, maybe an 8`ugly stick....

RE: sucker rod

Got a Shimano compre 76XH (kind of soft for its rating) and a rather old SC Premier PM76MH (rather stiff for its rating).

So far so good, use the Premier for the float line, Compre for the down line. Seems easier to get a good set with the stiffer rod with more line out. I am sure something will fail sooner or later but so what.

I've been using the Shakespeare Power Rod...Salwater rod with a soft tip and great backbone...Yes, ripping hooks out of the fish are an issue...with today's quick strike rigs getting better, there isn't a need for a broom handle and 200 lb line...Steve Herbeck and I discussed this over the summer...we are both using 50lb Floro on our sucker rods...and with the hook design that we both use, the hooks come out very easily, and you can actually enjoy the fight without battling a fish with clubby rod and reel...

the rig that I am talking about will be on the market next year....

Good Luck!

Rob Manthei
    www.robmanthei.com

Rob not so sure I would go as far as saying the quick strike rigs on the market are getting better considering I broke a brand new one this past weekend on the hookset.

Are you saying you are running floro on the reel, or just the quick strike rig?

Any idea on what the price point of your rig will be Rob?

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

I guess in my honest opinion running 50 lb fluoro either on the reel or on the rig is too....if the drag is cranked down and you set the hook on a big fish that 50 lb can and will break. Period.
    All of the components I use on the rigs I make myself are minimum 130 lb strength or more... Line (130 lb or more), bb swivels (165lb) fluoro on upper part of rig (180), 49 strand (175lb)....
    50 lb is risking it...imo.

I've had 65 and 80 lb break as have many others I know...but what do I know right Travis..coulda guessed you'd weigh in....not questioning what Rob knows, only questioning 50 lb being too light....but whatever..have at it.
    I don't trust anything remotely close to 50 when laying the steel into a 50+ incher...if you do..well there will come a day you won't.
    there is no such thing as too strong of a hookset on sucker fishing...

I use all Musky Innovations 9 foot livebait/trolling rods..they rock.

I doubt if you are ripping the hooks out the fishes mouth ,, you are most likely not getting a hook in the fish's mouth ,,,, make sure that the fish is swimming away from you before setting the hooks ,,,, set the hooks in the exact opposite direction that the fish is swimming (in an attempt to get the hook in the corner of the fishes mouth) ,, and set the hooks two or three times ,,,, make sure you have a treble hook on both sides of the sucker ---- that being said,, I think that when you miss fish on a quick set rig , it may just be due to the fact that the fish was a smaller musky and just didnt get all that hardware in its mouth correctly (especially if you are using really large suckers)---- anyway ,, good luck ----- Jim

>I guess in my honest opinion running 50 lb fluoro either on
    >the reel or on the rig is way too light....if the drag is
    >cranked down and you set the hook on a big fish that 50 lb can
    >and will break. Period.
    >All of the components I use on the rigs I make myself are
    >minimum 130 lb strength or more... Line (130 lb or more), bb
    >swivels (165lb) fluoro on upper part of rig (180), 49 strand
    >(175lb)....
    >50 lb is risking it...imo.
    >
    >there is no such thing as too strong of a hookset on sucker
    >fishing...
    >
    >I use all Musky Innovations 9 foot livebait/trolling
    >rods..they rock.

Yeh Rob what the hell do you know! ;)

50# is plenty when you have the equipment matched properly. The reality of it is we have equipment way heavier than we really need anyway. Saltwater guys fish lighter than us a lot of times, and the fish they catch are way more bad-@ss than muskies.

The rod I liked the most for suckers was my Bass Pro CatMaxx rod. However it has been converted to a twilli tip for wireline trolling and I just never got another. Currently I really like my 9' Lamiglas "Ricky Stick". Has a lot of backbone, is glass/graphite composite, and has a soft tip.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

Yep had 80# break this past weekend on a BIG fish. One I had been after all year on that lake. However, it wasnít because I was using 80# line. Something in the set-up was compromised and I am not sure what yet. Upon setting the hook the rod started loading and then nothing. If the line was too light it would have sounded like a gunshot. This was more of a line getting cut. I would assume the line was nicked from something. Real bummer.

By the way not my fault if you canít catch anything big in WI. Plenty of guys do.

Never said you didnít know what you were talking about so calm down a tad.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

Piper down Cha Chi.
    big is relative Travis...
    I'll keep catchin those little mid to upper 40s in WI and leave the "big" ones for you and "plenty of others" to catch... ;--)
    happy hunting....
    might be wise to use 130 or more on your sucker rods. but what do I know... ;--)

reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the guy "sidled-up".

travis:
    - what do you consider "big" in wisconsin

as another guy who retired from fishing 100% of my free-time and spending more time with kids i have an opinion ... curious what yours is and how many you encounter out in your world of the suspendo.

those kids like to suspendo fish??? and cold sucker fishing???

mine liked follows but prefer bass and golf ...