Thread: New Kickoff Rule

New Kickoff Rule

Anyone else seeing this as the worst thing since jetski's? Just put the ball at the 20 and save us a commercial break.

RE: New Kickoff Rule

Good teams will find a way to get returns when possible and kick off high and short to hopefully pin receiving teams inside the 20. The rule is there for all teams so they will have to adapt. By the end of the year someteams will have it figured out others not.

No different than letting the QB intentionally ground the ball so he doesn't get hit. I'm not in favor of that either but it has been legal for years spiking the ball or throwing it out of bounds past the line. Good QBs use it to their advantage and bad QBs take their licks.

The owners don't want to see millions in payroll flushed down the toilet when players are out for the season. There will be more and more of these changes as the years roll on.

108 yard return is why they still kick it. So if you don't put it out every time it can be returned, also on side kick comes into play.

I understand that many people think this new rule takes away from some of the excitement but I kind of don't have a problem with it. I hate it when a pathetic team can actually win games they have no buisness winning simply because of one or two long returns.

I know many people disagree and I understand that. I look back on an unnamed certain team with a certain season a few years ago. The team was probably not even playoff worthy but because their returner scored so much he made them look WAAAY better than they were.

....well.....to be honest.... given that I'm a Packer fan with the best QB in the game and the best offense in the NFL, of course I don't want to see some stupid special teams control the outcome of a game so maybe I'm a bit bias on this! :7 :D

I would have no problem with changing it to punting only.....

it would add a whole new dimension of "special teams" play.

Roger Treadwell

*Eldrick Woods School of Class, 2011 Graduate
    *Team Johnsonville Field General
    *Tuffy Boats Hull Demolition Captain

>I would have no problem with changing it to punting
    >only.....
    >
    >it would add a whole new dimension of "special
    >teams" play.
    >___________________________
    >
    >Roger Treadwell
    >
    >*Eldrick Woods School of Class, 2011 Graduate
    >*Team Johnsonville Field General
    >*Tuffy Boats Hull Demolition Captain

With Sean Slocum as coach "special" teams takes on a different meaning.

They might as well all wear dresses, and play flag football.

Hate it!

Seems like a waste, but 3 teams returned kicks already. My thoughts are if you want to avoid injury, just eliminate the kickoff and put the ball on the 20, it is ridiculous to see guys kicking it out of the end zone on a kickoff. Maybe they should make the kick return a 2 handed touch deal.

Hey repete kinda like the way the pack beating the saints on a kick return. Without that return you probably lose that game. Like it or not special teams is part of the game. Good teams and coaching staffs know this and prepare. Sorry that the pack special teams have sucked over the past few years. Would you be making this post if Hester was on your team? Oh and I cant wait to hear the whining about injuries from you which is also part of the game. Instead of worrying about kick returns you should worry about that defense. Looked very slow against the saints. I would not be planning the superbowl parade just yet.

That being said you have the best quaterback in the league which has evolved into a quarterback driven league. He is a hall of famer if he stays healthy. Look forward to week 3!!!!!!!