Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sling blade or big nasty

Sling blade or big nasty

How would the sling blade or the big Nasty hold up in the cold for hard hook sets while sucker fishing?
    I would think so since they are made for big Dawg Type fishing.

OK all you St Croix pro-staffers. Your Opinion? ;(

RE: Sling blade or big nasty

Both are made the same, get a glass rod if fishing in temp colder then freezing.

Both would work.

>Both are made the same, get a glass rod if fishing in temp
    >colder then freezing.

I'm just curious why you would say that. I have fished with graphite rods in temps as low as 5 degrees F (for steelhead) and never had problems with the rod.

I've fished thru many snow storms but not in any real cold weather but i've herd of guy's breaking rods in late Nov.

Nobody needs to hear me say anything more about either the Sling Blade or Big Nasty...they are both dream sticks for me. But....I use all my old sticks and reels for sucker fishing. The weather is crappy, icy, cold...it's really easy for me to step on a stick...the line guides and reel is full of ice...and my best rods are not on the deck.

do yourself a favor and pick up the trolling/livebait 9 footer from Musky innovations and you'll be much happier....i have both those st croixs and would never ever use them for suckers and use the MI rod and it's a great sucker rod....

i have both rods and love them, but would never use them for late fall sucker fishing. you get a real cold day, a graphite rod, no stretch line, a drag hammered down and a whicked hook set and something has to give, and it usually is a graphite rod.

i broke and old tourney legend by St. Croix years ago on a hookset when super lines first came out. It was the first week of november and pretty cold. the rod exploded into three peices on the hookset and all i got for it was a 36 inch northern.

since that day i have gone to the St. Croix glass rods in 7 ft and more recently the premier glass trolling/sucker rods in 8 ft. They have been great trolling and sucker rods and i don't worry about having one explode in the cold.

rnovak

Lucky

i too use graphite rods all winter long for steelhead fishing and they work fine, but even though steelhead are explosive fish and make great runs, its not the same. you have your drag set so the fish can make runs and take line. you have a more sweeping hook set when fishing steelhead and its quite different than setting a hook on a musky with a sucker. your graphite steelhead rod also has a much different action than the rods first mentioned in this post. if you're back trolling plugs for heads, once again your drag is set looser. all of these factors take the intitial stress off the rod. I use graphite rods for fishing walleye in the st joe river in michigan in the winter too without a problem. again a differnt hookset, looser drag when setting a jig and minnow versus a sucker on a musky.

rnovak

I'm curious for the guys who have had rods break - was there a significant ice build up on the blank?

The reason I ask is that there is not a place on earth that sees temperatures dip so low as to impact the properties of graphite. I know that steels and ferrous metals will see an impact in there ductility, but graphite does not. Not even close.

My theory is that ice builds up on the rod, adding additional weight, and then when the ice goes under sudden load, it breaks along with the rod. Why do more graphite rods break? It may be due to their tendancy to have a faster action, or maybe it's just because more of us use graphite rods.

I know the majority of people probably won't care, but I'm just curious.

RE: Sling blade or big nastyaphite

Not all graphite fiber material and glues are made the same when it comes to cold temperatures. For instance, my Tackle Industries rods are more of a downhill racing ski vs a fishing rod when it comes to the raw materials I select for my rod manufacturing. Not sure how many manufacturers test their rods in low temp environments either. The TI rods were tested to below 0F. All comes down to your raw materials used in the final product.....

James
    Say "Thank You" to a Veteran with a donation:
    http://www.operationmuskie.com
    Tackle Industries:
    http://www.tackleindustries.com