Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zebra mussels are not our friend

Zebra mussels are not our friend

Some feel zebra mussels make water clearer, and have thus improved walleye fishing in many places, like the eastern Great Lakes. I suspect zebra mussels can completely destroy muskie spawning habitat, and the threat of this particular invasive species to natural muskie lakes is a grave one. And it is not the worst invasive. I fished trout in New Zealand for years. Invasives have now destroyed the rivers I came to love. Don't take the threat of invasives lightly.

Greg Ide
    (don't be surprised if legislation forces you to wash your boat when you LEAVE an infested water)

Zebra mussels are not our friend

Some feel zebra mussels make water clearer, and have thus improved walleye fishing in many places, like the eastern Great Lakes. I suspect zebra mussels can completely destroy muskie spawning habitat, and the threat of this particular invasive species to natural muskie lakes is a grave one. And it is not the worst invasive. I fished trout in New Zealand for years. Invasives have now destroyed the rivers I came to love. Don't take the threat of invasives lightly.

Greg Ide
    (don't be surprised if legislation forces you to wash your boat when you LEAVE an infested water)

RE: Zebra mussels are not our friend

People who think invasives like Zebra Mussels are confined to the Great Lakes and larger water bodies are gravely mistaken. Zebra Mussels have been verified in at least 130 inland lakes in Wisconsin. Invasives are not just a problem in southern Wisconsin. Vilas County alone contains 145 waters that harbor at least one invasive species, Oneida County contains 110 and Sawyer County contains 34. This is a problem EVERYWHERE!!!

People who don't believe the water they are on contains invasives or those who simply are too lazy or stupid to follow the necessary precautions EVERY time they remove their boat from any water regardless of where they fish are the single greatest threat to the future of our lakes.

People who think invasives like Zebra Mussels are confined to the Great Lakes and larger water bodies are gravely mistaken. Zebra Mussels have been verified in at least 130 inland lakes in Wisconsin. Invasives are not just a problem in southern Wisconsin. Vilas County alone contains 145 waters that harbor at least one invasive species, Oneida County contains 110 and Sawyer County contains 34. This is a problem EVERYWHERE!!!

People who don't believe the water they are on contains invasives or those who simply are too lazy or stupid to follow the necessary precautions EVERY time they remove their boat from any water regardless of where they fish are the single greatest threat to the future of our lakes.

I think it's great to rail against invasives, but I've gotta call you on this one.

I've seen no studies or even heard any anecdotal info on zebras affecting spawing grounds for muskies or pike. Last I checked, they use softer-bottomed back bays to lay their eggs.

Zebra mussels (and Quaggas, which can live in deeper, colder, water) do harm by covering all available hard surfaces, filtering the water and lowering primary production (as on Lake Mich.) and that should be reason enough to fear them and fight to keep them out of your lake. It's terrible what rock snot has done in NZ, but if you're looking for direct threats to muskies, I think you'd have to look elsewhere.

As far as legislation to force people to wash their boats, I think Wisc. and Mich. are leaning a little too far right for that to get through the legislatures at the moment. Minnesota and Ontario might be much more likely. Doesn't hurt to ask for it, I guess, but you're up against borderline libertarian regimes in Lansing and Madison.

Just look at how long the ballast water fight has taken on the Grea Lakes.

Like I said, good to fight them, but there's plenty of information out there that's got a little more solid scientific backing that would be more accurate ammunition.

I think it's great to rail against invasives, but I've gotta call you on this one.

I've seen no studies or even heard any anecdotal info on zebras affecting spawing grounds for muskies or pike. Last I checked, they use softer-bottomed back bays to lay their eggs.

Zebra mussels (and Quaggas, which can live in deeper, colder, water) do harm by covering all available hard surfaces, filtering the water and lowering primary production (as on Lake Mich.) and that should be reason enough to fear them and fight to keep them out of your lake. It's terrible what rock snot has done in NZ, but if you're looking for direct threats to muskies, I think you'd have to look elsewhere.

As far as legislation to force people to wash their boats, I think Wisc. and Mich. are leaning a little too far right for that to get through the legislatures at the moment. Minnesota and Ontario might be much more likely. Doesn't hurt to ask for it, I guess, but you're up against borderline libertarian regimes in Lansing and Madison.

Just look at how long the ballast water fight has taken on the Grea Lakes.

Like I said, good to fight them, but there's plenty of information out there that's got a little more solid scientific backing that would be more accurate ammunition.

Muskie don't just spawn in soft-bottomed bays. In fact in MN in the native waters most of it is done on shallow chara beds out from shore.

Zebra mussels attach to weeds just as readily as hard surfaces.

They are in a lake I fish locally and have wiped out lots of cabbage beds. The zebras are so thick on the weeds that they fall down and die.

If they wipe our the chara beds on Leech for example, the effects could be devastating to muskie reproduction.

Muskie don't just spawn in soft-bottomed bays. In fact in MN in the native waters most of it is done on shallow chara beds out from shore.

Zebra mussels attach to weeds just as readily as hard surfaces.

They are in a lake I fish locally and have wiped out lots of cabbage beds. The zebras are so thick on the weeds that they fall down and die.

If they wipe our the chara beds on Leech for example, the effects could be devastating to muskie reproduction.

Zebra mussels wiped out your cabbage or the rusty crayfish wiped out your cabbage?

I've got a lake here with 15-years-plus of zebra infestation with plenty of cabbage, but I've seen rocky lakes with rusty crayfish wiped almost clean of cabbage in less than five years.

Mussels attaching doesn't hurt most weeds.

Again, zebra mussels are bad, but they're not the reason the Twins are sucking this year or that Jared Bush can't cover anyone.

Zebra mussels wiped out your cabbage or the rusty crayfish wiped out your cabbage?

I've got a lake here with 15-years-plus of zebra infestation with plenty of cabbage, but I've seen rocky lakes with rusty crayfish wiped almost clean of cabbage in less than five years.

Mussels attaching doesn't hurt most weeds.

Again, zebra mussels are bad, but they're not the reason the Twins are sucking this year or that Jared Bush can't cover anyone.