Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size is a good size? Muskie nets

What size is a good size? Muskie nets

I know the muskie net question has been asked quite a few times, but most of the questions are for what manufacturer.

I am looking the best sized muskie net. What is too big and what is too small in terms of hoop and bag size. It seems the top manufacturers these days have multiple sizes and different bag styles like Tear drop vs. conservation.

I am looking for a new net, as I have been a cradle guy forever. But it is just too much these days to man it alone.

So, what do you run?

RE: What size is a good size? Muskie nets

Short answer; the biggest one your boat will carry easily assuming you fish some big fish water. If the waters you fish only have small to mid size fish then a mid range size would suffice.

Other than than..thicker rubber coated mesh vs the thin stuff is better for the fish. The supper small holes on some nets inhibit the ability to move the net quickly thru the water...something to consider as well.

I have fished with two sizes through the years. One is the Frabill Big Game, and the other the Frabil Big Kahuna. Both have the heavy coated bags BTurg mentioned. While most will tell you they prefer the Big Game size while fishing by themselves, I have actually found the Big Kahuna is much better for me while fishing alone. Yep it is larger, bulkier, and heavier but you are not really trying to scoop fast by yourself anyway. I find the larger hoop size helps me in getting the fish into the net easier. Donít go thinking I am a large guy either and can handle a large net by myself as I am less than 160 lbs, and have arms like toothpicks. Most nets are clumsy while trying to net alone so you might as well pick one that has a large target to hit. Less chance for just catching the fish on the edge of the hoop with the Big Kahuna in my opinion.

One other huge advantage of the heavy coated bags as found on the Big Game and Big Kahuna is the fish get a lot less tangled in the bag. Makes a big difference when it comes to unhooking fish in a timely manner, and a lot less frustration.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

As that great angler, Labron James is fond of saying, "A bigger hoop would have been nice!"

>One other huge advantage of the heavy coated bags as found on
    >the Big Game and Big Kahuna is the fish get a lot less tangled
    >in the bag. Makes a big difference when it comes to unhooking
    >fish in a timely manner, and a lot less frustration.
    >
    >Travis Kopke

What Travis said. The other problem is when the fish rolls and tangles in the net, the lure will become tangled as well. On some thinner material nets, I've actually had to cut the hooks off my lures to free them. Other times it's taken me 10-15 minutes just to untangle a wadded mess from the lure tangling. What a pain!

I have a Big Kahuna too and like Travis said it's easy to net a fish by yourself I just choke up on the net (don't hold it by the tip of the handle more it the middle or even by the yoke).

I just got back from a trip where we used my friend's net that has the thinner bag and a lot of the rubber coating seemed to have worn off. What a pain!. Just like mentioned above, the tangles were terrible and the fish spent extra time out of the water as we untangled. We fished in another boat with a Big Kahuna and what a difference. The hooks basically fell out of the net even though the fish rolled in it. I suppose is it harder to move it quickly, but I personally wouldn't worry about that.

Bigger and Deeper! I fish by myself the majority of the time and the thing i love about the big deep nets is after i land a fish it works as a live well for the fish while i get organized, set up camera on tripod, grab release tools etc. I fish out of a Pro V and its deep enough so the fish is always submerged under water.

I will go against the grain here, I like the frabill big game for fishing with someone or alone. I find it alot easier to control. I tried the big kahuna and did not like it.

www.frvmuskie.com

Which end is the sucker on?

If you fish alone, ever, then the biggest you can comfortably handle alone. It doesn't matter how reputable the manufacturer is, or how much the net costs, if you can't effectively handle it while you have a fish on the line, it isn't much good.