Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag Tinsel Bad Luck!!

Mag Tinsel Bad Luck!!

This weekend while chucking bucher mag tinsel's; which are not even a year old; I lost a blade on three of them! What the #%^&!! The ring that holds the fluted blades let loose. I either have someone screwing with me or this is a bad string of luck! Anybody else run into that problem before?

RE: Mag Tinsel Bad Luck!!

>The ring that holds the fluted blades let
    >loose.

Is the word you are looking for call a clevis?

I'm sure before you spouted off on here you contacted Bucher Outdoors and what did they say?

Its happened to me twice and I've had the tinsel just fall off a couple times after making maybe 4-5 casts with a brand new one.

im not 1oo percent but i think the new baits are redesigned.

i haven't had any issues with the bait. As a matter of fact i finally busted my cherry on a Bucher Mag Tail this past July. After what seemed like forever i finally got a fish to eat a double 10 bucktail. over the past two plus seasons they would eat just about everything else, but not the double 10 - finally!

rnovak

>>The ring that holds the fluted blades let
    >>loose.
    >
    >Is the word you are looking for call a clevis?
    >
    >I'm sure before you spouted off on here you contacted Bucher
    >Outdoors and what did they say?

Perhaps Bucher Outdoors referred him to the episode of JBO where JB downplays and basically scoffs at some of the defects they've had on their baits by saying (kinda bragging, almost taunting) that he goes out and catches fish on all the ones people send back to him.

I dunno, I'm sure he's got a point, and perhaps that's what he was intending, that the fish don't care what the bait looks like, and I agree with this.....but let's not go justifying defects this way. Not when you're paying 20+ bux a bait. Kinda stuck in my craw a little.

I've got alot of Bucher's stuff. No bucktails, lots of cranks and topwaters. Most have held up very well, sans the new topraider I bought last summer that replaced the 15-year-old one that finally broke on me. Great bait that caught alot of fish. The new one though.....yeah, it didn't last 3 days of fishing before 2/3 of the paint came off the tail fin.

My advice: put a big "x" or your signature on the remaining blade so you know its yours, send it back to them.... and watch for your bait on next season's episodes.

Wierd. I've never had an issue with the Bucher mag tinsels and I throw them equally as much as my cowgirls.

Now, you saying you had one blade fall off three different bucktails, all in one weekend, I find that hard to believe. Who knows though, maybe they had a bad batch of clevises (if that is what you are referring to as breaking) which would be fault of the component manufacturer/supplier, not necessarily Bucher Outdoors...

Another note: the Bucher Mag Tinsels ARE at least $5 cheaper than competitors bucktails. I'm sure there is more than one reason for that. But they catch fish just as well.

I agree with a prior post that sometimes a batch of substandard components make it into a lure. I make most of my own spinner type lures and have run into some defective clevises. In my case they seemed to be brittle and with a little twist broke off.
    Don't throw the baby out with the wash water....
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

I sent two of the slopmaster blades from two different baits to the bottom of the lake on back to back nights a few years ago when I first bought those spinnerbaits. I upgraded the split rings and that ended the problem with the remaining baits that hadn't yet lost them.

I kinda look at this like upgrading hooks on a bait. Would be nice to get nice Eagle Claws or Gamakatsu's and good split rings on everything, but it all costs money.

>Wierd. I've never had an issue with the Bucher mag tinsels
    >and I throw them equally as much as my cowgirls.
    >
    >Now, you saying you had one blade fall off three different
    >bucktails, all in one weekend, I find that hard to believe.
    >Who knows though, maybe they had a bad batch of clevises (if
    >that is what you are referring to as breaking) which would be
    >fault of the component manufacturer/supplier, not necessarily
    >Bucher Outdoors...
    >
    >Another note: the Bucher Mag Tinsels ARE at least $5 cheaper
    >than competitors bucktails. I'm sure there is more than one
    >reason for that. But they catch fish just as well.

I did buy three at one time from rollies and they were the three that the "clevis" let loose. Probably just a bad set of clevis's weird anyway.