Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skeeter 200SL vs Ranger 692??? your thoughts?

Skeeter 200SL vs Ranger 692??? your thoughts?

I was debating getting a Ranger 692 but I can not seem to find one with the set up I want - 98 or so hull with a 01-06 motor.

I did find a 98 Skeeter 200SL with a 03 Yamaha VMAX with about 70 hours on it.

I plan to test drive the skeeter next week but I have never fished from a 692 and I do not know of anyone with one in the area either so I need to rely on your ideas quite a bit.

I mainly fish tiger musky and pike with a few smallies now and again.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!

RE: Skeeter 200SL??? your thoughts?

That sounds like a sweet ride. You can never go wrong with a Skeeter, and Yamaha's have usually been pretty bulletproof. They always tested highly in Bass and Walleye Boats magazine's field tests. Don't be afraid of a carburated either, if you don't run full bore all of the time they are not that bad on gas,and man do they have great holeshot! I think you'be very happy in a rig like that. Skeeter makes great boats that last! Good Luck!! Finding the right rig is tough!
    Buddy Ellenburg

Take a Kid fishing they'll have a Lifetime of Memories!!

Good boat, but not a Ranger. When I was guiding on Mille Lacs, a guy had the cap serarate from the hull on his big Skeeter.I'd never seen that before. Granted, The Pond can be brutal but......NOTHING runs like a Ranger.

you can't wait if you see a 690 or 692 priced right. you'll be glad you got one if you are fortunate enough to be the first caller.

I don't have any experience with skeeter but I do have a 99 692 with a 99 150 opti on it along with a 2002 15hp merc 4stk kicker. Very happy with it. Been on Mille Lacs in big stuff and it did the job.

You see more 690s around.

My biggest knock against is that the space between the passenger seat and console is a little tight. Big guys will hate it. My wife loves it.

To get the port side large livewell, they moved the seat forward and it compresses the knee space.

It fishes three guys no problem and its not as big as a 620 which is great for my storage situation.

Rod lockers are a touch short. I use 8' rods though and can get a good amount of them in there. 7' and 7'6" rods are no problem.

These boats tend to go fast when they come up for sale. Lots of them with EFIs but hang in there and you find an opti. I waited a while for mine and I was one of the lucky "first callers" when mine popped up on a website. Drove to NoDak to get it.

good luck,
    Jono

"Skeeter" is a name folks with underdeveloped language skills use in substitute for Mosquito....as in the bug, pest, blood-sucking little SOB. If you look on the boat, you can clearly see that the symbol on the boat is nothing more than a stylized insect. Ranger, on the other hand, as clearly stated by Mr. Forest L. Wood, Ranger's storied founder, is a name designed to commemerate the bravery, loyalty, and American spirit of the original Texas Rangers. Mr. Wood is never even seen without wearing a hat very much like the one worn by the Lone Ranger (which makes the thing damn near Holy.) So, you could buy a boat that glorifies a nasty little biting insect...or you could buy a boat that sort of stands for this great country of ours, and its values and the American flag. Last, everybody knows that guys with Ranger jackets on get girls, and guys with a "bug" on their jacket get swatted.

High Five, Marty.........

Roger Treadwell

*Team Johnsonville Field General
    *Tuffy Boats Hull Demolition Captain

:7 :7

Definitely a funny comment Marty.

I really lean toward the Ranger myself but having a very tough time finding one in my price range with the motor I want....any ideas?

Sure it would be great to have the Ranger but in the end, you have to be happy with what you buy....no one else does.

Listening to two guys on an internet board (who I believe are sponsored by Ranger) and letting them have an effect on what you buy...is this how you want to base your decision? On some stupid Skeeter vs. Ranger diatribe? You're not looking at low end boats, both boats mentioned are in the upper echelon of the boating world.

If you REALLY want a Ranger, expand your search and be prepared to drive 500-1000 miles. Or fly to see a boat then have it trucked to you after you've bought it.

It's your money.......not theirs.

Your Honor..

To the charge of being stupid--Guilty!
    To the charge of being sponsored by Ranger--Not Guilty!

Also, it was a joke, there is no question that I think Skeeter is a fine boat!