Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has lost fish before?

Who has lost fish before?

I am sad to say that we lost our 1st musky on Saturday. It was my dad's personal best - a nice 47"er that took a jr double cowgirl about 10' from the boat. After a short fight we got it in the net and removed the hook (it was not deep). We only took it out of the net for a few minutes for pics and it was a textbook release. We tried for over 2 hours to revive her with no luck. I know that this might be a taboo subject but how many of you have lost fish after doing (what seemed to be) everything right? ;(

RE: Who has lost fish before?

Sometimes it just doesn't take much. Add very warm water temps and the chances of mortality seem to be 10 fold.

All you can do, is do your best to minimize the fishes time out of the water. Have everything ready for a pic... you should need any more than 10 seconds to take a pic.

But congrats on the PB.

>I am sad to say that we lost our 1st musky on Saturday. It
    >was my dad's personal best - a nice 47"er that took a jr
    >double cowgirl about 10' from the boat. After a short fight we
    >got it in the net and removed the hook (it was not deep). We
    >only took it out of the net for a few minutes for pics and it
    >was a textbook release. We tried for over 2 hours to revive
    >her with no luck. I know that this might be a taboo subject
    >but how many of you have lost fish after doing (what seemed to
    >be) everything right? ;(

I think some questions you are going to get, along with probably some not-so-nice comments from others will deal with 1. why was the fish out of the water for a "few minutes?" 2. what were the surface temps of the water when the fish was released? 3. what kinds of things did you do to help revive the fish? 4. What was done with the fish upon learning it was not going to survive?

I hope people that respond use some respect here. This person is just asking about why this may have happened, not to be beaten up behind a keyboard regardless if you use your name/handle or not.

That "few minutes" comment was a typo on my part. She was only out of the water for a few seconds for a pic. I have caught about 20 muskies and this was the first time this has happened. My dad kept her in the water Iin my Frabill musky net and gently rocked her side to side (not front to back) to try to revive her. The surface temp was 75*. Do you have any suggestions as to what else we could have done to try to revive her? We even tried calling the dnr but they were shutdown due to the state offices being closed.

Maybe I should clarify what happened. Here goes...

It was about 8am and the water temp was 75*. He caught the fish about 10' from the boat using his 8 1/2" rod with an abu garcia winch reel. It pulled line out directly under the boat and then took a run away from the boat. After making a spectauclar tail dance about 15 yds from the boat my dad was able to get her in close enough for me to net her (I have a frabill musky net). we kept her submerged in the net while we removed the hook (it was not deep). My dad took her out of the net and we clicked a few pictures. She was only out of the water for a few seconds. He immediatly put her back in the water while holding her upright to revive her. After a few seconds he felt her twitch and she swam away (pretty strong) for deeper water. We kept looking in the direction that she swam off and a few seconds later noticed that she surfaced about 20-30' from the boat. I motored over to her we and kept her upright while gently rocking her back and forth for the next 2 hours... No luck

It happens man. Ive only had 1 die on me in 12-13 years or so ive been muskie fishing and its a terrible feeling but, it is what it is. No sense in dwelling on it just learn from it.

LOTW last day of a trip caught a 38ish fish and did all the same stuff the same way, quick, hardly took any time and didn't even take a picture ... dumb fish was dead as dead can be after struggling a few times just did not make it. tried to figure it out for a long time ... we used the livewell and every other trick we could consider. it just died.

happens

Is there any other tips or trick beside just holding them upright on the water and gently rocking them side to side?

I caught a smaller Musky couple years back and I did everything by the book(in regards to catch and release also made it a quick fight)but after 40 minutes trying to revive the Musky it just didn't make it. It was one of the worst sinking gut wrenching feelings I've ever felt in regards to Musky fishing. I seriously almost hung up the rod, reel, and put away the Musky gear after that experience but I learned from it and moved on. It's an unfortunate experience you had but it happens and your not alone.

I share your pain and know exactly how you feel. I boated a nice, fat 39 incher last Tuesday. Kept her in the net, cut the hooks because she was hooked fairly deep, and lifted her out of the water for one quick picture. I haven't ever lost a musky before in 30 years of musky fishing, and I sure didn't expect to lose this one. Held onto her for over 45 minutes. She kicked out of my hand 3 times and went down, but came back up belly up a few seconds later each time. Gills finally stopped moving altogether. Upset me so much I fished for walleye's the next two days. Only thing I can figure is that the 76 degree surface temperature was a contributing factor.

LarryO