Thread: Another Prop Question

Another Prop Question

Hi, I have a '03 Johnson 150 on a MirroCraft fish and ski. My aluminum prop is getting pretty dinged up and I am thinking about putting a stainless prop on it. The boat is mainly used for fishing but I do take the kids tubing and skiing occasionally. Any suggestions on type of prop to put on it? Thanks!!!

RE: Another Prop Question

I ran a vented 19 pitch Michigan Wheel three blade on my 1991 150HP Johnson Fast Strike on an Alumacraft 185. It wasn't the fastest, it wasn't the most expensive, but it ran fairly well overall. I got about 5300 rpm with that in full trim. I tried a 20 pitch Raker first but that was a little too stiff for hole shots. You might need a slightly smaller pitch to pull skiers. What pitch are you running now?

I would definitely look at vented props (like mercury PVS system props). Help you run a bit more pitch while helping to get you moving at low speeds while dragging a tube. A 4 blade will help hold you on plane at lower speeds and have better stern lift. I run a trophy plus on my F/S...not quite enough cup for my liking -doesn't get the bow up as well as I would like, but yours being tin vs my glass boat, I think you will do fine with it.

I had a '05 JOHNSON 150 that came with a 14 1/4 x 23" pitch aluminum. I replaced it in '06 with a Cabelas Stainless 14 3/4 x 23" and it worked great! It was cheaper than the Bombardier props, I would highly recommend it as a replacement. I pulled the kids tubing too! It increased the holeshot and gave a more solid run at WOT. They still carry them! Good Luck!
    Buddy Ellenburg

Take a Kid fishing they'll have a Lifetime of Memories!!

Do you have a dealer that you've dealt with? A good OMC dealer should be able to quickly get you to the right prop and let you test (take out on lake, run around and then return) one to make sure it is what you want. If you are able to do this, make sure you have the boat loaded with the people/equipment that you normally have otherwise the test may not be 100% indicative how how the prop will perform.