Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musky fishing solo

RE: Musky fishing solo

I go out alone all the time, often in conditions that are marginal (at best) to psychotic.

Lots of good advice above. I would add:

Figure out a way to secure your net so the bag hangs in the water with the fish submerged. My Downeasters are the right size to just clamp the handle of my net in. That way you can get your tools and set up the camera without rushing around. The fish will be fine unless water temps are high. Bungee cord to the mooring cleats also works.

If you are trolling in adverse conditions (cold, big waves, no other boats around, etc..), consider clipping in or tying off to rope. I don't do this often, but when trolling in November in 3 footers on Green Bay, you are not going to get help in time if you go over.

Keep the boat clean. Tripping accidents are about the only reasonable worry where you might go over the side and get in trouble on a calm day.

Ditto on being able to handle the net with one hand. If it is too big, it won't help.

Lots of good responses here but securing the net while important is no big deal. After you net the fish and before you grab your unhooking tools, just tangle the mesh in a boat cleat. Now it's going nowhere even if the fish thrashes and stands the net on end.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I have fished quite a bit by myself as I do quite a few trips each year with just the wife and about every other day she is only up for 7-9 hours so I fish about half the day alone.

I can say I have usually caught more fish per hour per person by myself than with 2 people as mentioned above you get the "sweet" and perfect casts all to yourself.

Also I can only reiterate have you tools handy and on the ready - this makes it much easier and less stressful on you and the fish.

The biggest down side I have found is there is no one to share the excitement of a BIG fish with and no one to recount all the details, intensity and laughter of the stories....

Wow guys thanks for all the tips...the article in the June/July issue was great too, but thanks to all the great info, Im actually excited about the challenge...or should I say challunge of Musky fishing alone. Going up to a medium size (300 acre) lake in Sawyer county. Next time im in Eagle River, Id love to check out the setup you got Gare, thanks for the offer. Again thanks to everyone, every tip was as helpful as the next. Coming back the 16th, so Im sure ill have a few snapshots to post on the board. Good luck on the water everyone!!

perchoreno, the vest I bought auto inflates after being in the water for over 3 seconds and like any good vest is designed to turn someone face down to face up in the water. As I said in my earlier post, I swim three days a week and have for many years. During the summer I will go for an open water swim of up to a mile, not a big deal. But I also know in the same lake in October, I would be lucky to make it a hundred yards before the cold and fatigue got me. I also lift weights twice a week year round, three days in winter and am quite capable of pulling myself back into the boat. At age 60 I can still comfortably bench press more than my 200 lb body weight. However, many years ago I watched a friend who was then a very fit 21 year old almost drown after getting thrown from a boat when he hit a submerged log at no more than 10 or 15 miles an hour. The impact caused him to be disoriented and flounder. I started to swim out to him and was able to guide him to where a life cushion was floating. Had the cushion not flown out with him, I don't know what would have happened.

I just started wearing the vest this year and still don't wear it all the time when fishing by myself but I think it is a reasonable precaution.

Well North of 8

I, and I am sure others, are glad you...

#1 caught a 40"+ musky by yourself
    #2 had all your release tools and net quickly at hand
    #3 swim 3x a week for exercise, and "have for many years"
    #4 that, in summer you go for an open water swim for up to a mile, and that it is "not a big deal"
    #5 can bench press >200 lbs at 60
    #6 saved your friend's life

All I can say is, if "slow burner" is a magnificent specimen such as yourself, he should obviously take every precaution available and have a sex change operation(also a big risk factor for drowning), but at the same time, suggest to him that if he is just a common wretch like I, he might enjoy living on the edge, and take the chance of becoming a statistic.
    ;-) :P

Hey Guys, Thanks for the kind words about the article. First of all, to pooh pooh the safety stuff is absurd. Yes, the likelyhood of an accident happening isn't any greater than with a boat partner but the results can be much more serious. Like many of our father's told us, "don't do anything stupid" and you should be okay.

I don't want this to get too repetitive but here are a few other thoughts... Where I am in the boat when I set the hook and when I net the fish might be complete different spots. Have the net positioned where you can grab it easily and be ready to travel with it. Have your release tools on the front deck (or wherever your foot pedal for t m is). Once the fish is in the bag gently walk it over (with fish in water the whole time)to where your tools are. Then, hook it to the cleat, like Steve mentioned. I will always straddle the shaft of the net for added security. When I hoist the fish out the net should stay put.

It all sounds really easy right now, but it all happens pretty fast and if your like me, you get pretty worked up. There is nothing quite like battling a monster all by yourself. I kind of feel like I have to catch it because if they get away at the boat you don't have any witnesses to verify your fish tale! Try to stay calm and enjoy the moment.

Good Luck out there,

Ryan McMahon
    www.twincitiesmusky.com

perchoreno, I did not save my friend's life. A flotation cushion did. I don't think I could have saved him and we both might have drowned. Life happens that fast and that simple.

Do what you want. If you read what was written, no one is telling you to do anything. The origianl poster asked for suggestions. I and others made some suggestions and apparently that set you off. You question what kind of wimps need life jackets, without any apparent understanding of how a good one works. And you are correct, you should not wear one.

One thing about the net. That is one of the hardest things, it always wants get caught or stuck on something.

A trick I learned is you use a small buggy or a zip tie or something like that and have a short piece of heavy line on it. And you don't want it to move, and its a few inches below the yoke. Now you take a plainer board release and attach the non release end to the cord. Next take the bottom of the net bag, and just twist it so it stays loosely in a roll. Then you take the release and set it for fairly light tension and clip it to the bag so it holds it in the roll.

When you go to net the fish, the line release does its thing and the net opens up while your netting your prize.

And it keeps the net bag from catching everything but your fish.

Keith :) :) :D

Oh and when I am alone and there is not to many people around, I wear a MAVRIK style auto inflate vest. Unless it starts raining on me like it did today, then I change back to my regular jacket fishing vest PFD. I have heard of the Auto Inflates going off in a bad rain storm if they get wet enough. So to save on rearm kits I put that away and go back to the old style. Yes I keep both in my boat.