Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need YOUR advice - a boat

RE: Need YOUR advice - a boat

x2 on the older big blocks....

X3! Ok, I'll say it......Merc had some "issues" on the 99-01 Opti's that resulted in a class action lawsuit. Better have an extra 5-7K iffen you roll the dice on one of those. Oh wait, my 99 had the same issues as the 00 and 01 but wasn't included in the lawsuit.7K for a new powerhead thank you very much.

X3! Ok, I'll say it......Merc had some "issues" on the 99-01 Opti's that resulted in a class action lawsuit. Better have an extra 5-7K iffen you roll the dice on one of those. Oh wait, my 99 had the same issues as the 00 and 01 but wasn't included in the lawsuit.7K for a new powerhead thank you very much.

The reality is they all had issues some more publicized than others. Early 2000 era motors were still in the infant stages of then new clean emmissions regs and running them very lean was the easiest way to get there. One hickup in any injector or computer component was likely to cause major issues as the safety blanket of running an engine rich with oil/lube was gone. Just be aware that a ten year old outboard is always a gamble and likely you'll be spending some money keeping it going. If your budget doen't allow for a "surprise" consider newer and smaller to stay in the same price range.

I always recomend the mindset of buying the engine first and the hull second with an older rig.

The reality is they all had issues some more publicized than others. Early 2000 era motors were still in the infant stages of then new clean emmissions regs and running them very lean was the easiest way to get there. One hickup in any injector or computer component was likely to cause major issues as the safety blanket of running an engine rich with oil/lube was gone. Just be aware that a ten year old outboard is always a gamble and likely you'll be spending some money keeping it going. If your budget doen't allow for a "surprise" consider newer and smaller to stay in the same price range.

I always recomend the mindset of buying the engine first and the hull second with an older rig.

The two I am narrowing down toward are a 98 merc EFI 200 and a 95 merc EFI 200.

IF you guys have any great recommendations for 10k or less (but NOT a tiller) please let me know as I will consider most multispecies boat with DC or WT for the right price but want a boat that runs 50mph+ 17.5-21'

THANK YOU

The two I am narrowing down toward are a 98 merc EFI 200 and a 95 merc EFI 200.

IF you guys have any great recommendations for 10k or less (but NOT a tiller) please let me know as I will consider most multispecies boat with DC or WT for the right price but want a boat that runs 50mph+ 17.5-21'

THANK YOU

i really like my 690 and the champions too. i like the 681's too but they are even more difficult to come by than the 690/692's and now there is a market so not as many bargains, but worth keeping your eyes open for. mine is rigged with an xr efi 175hp and will run around 50-52 with a 4-blade tempest.

otherwise, in 1998 (i think this is the right year??) Champion made an 18' fishhunter with a 150hp motor ... deep v but set up like a bass-boat (618). it's a fantastic boat typically found rigged with reliable power for the age (mariner 150hp), runs all the speed you want, sits on a single axle trailer, stores nice and handles big water with ease. they come along once in awhile and are SWEET!

older skeeters are worth a look too ...

good luck! ... shopping is a gas

i really like my 690 and the champions too. i like the 681's too but they are even more difficult to come by than the 690/692's and now there is a market so not as many bargains, but worth keeping your eyes open for. mine is rigged with an xr efi 175hp and will run around 50-52 with a 4-blade tempest.

otherwise, in 1998 (i think this is the right year??) Champion made an 18' fishhunter with a 150hp motor ... deep v but set up like a bass-boat (618). it's a fantastic boat typically found rigged with reliable power for the age (mariner 150hp), runs all the speed you want, sits on a single axle trailer, stores nice and handles big water with ease. they come along once in awhile and are SWEET!

older skeeters are worth a look too ...

good luck! ... shopping is a gas

ranger 692?

Found a ranger 692 I have looked at online and would consider right at the upper edge of my price range...

Thoughts on it vs fish hunter vs targa?

Anyone happen to know of any great deals on 692 rangers?