Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need YOUR advice - a boat

Need YOUR advice - a boat

I am trying to decide on a boat and have only fished musky out of a rental boat (18' lund fisherman) mainly. I do like to fish for bass, pike and tigers (as I live in Utah and no real skis here).

I like the idea of a bass boat for speed and the deck space.

Issue is the windshield is nice on crappy days (wind/rain) as I will fish through them.

I have considered 3 main boats (Tracker Targa 20', Tracker Tundra 18' DC or 20' bass boat). All of them in the late 90's age range.

I keep thinking the Targa but the issue is it is much heavier to tow (I think) and I ask my self is it the best of both worlds or worst of both worlds? no windshield and small back deck.

Thinking about adding a couple kids to the family so a bass boat may not get the job done for that.

I fish reserviors mainly and not too big of water as far as waves.

Just feeling rather confused and appreciate your insight.

Trying to stay under 10k if possible.

RE: Need YOUR advice - a boat

A 20' BB is all you need for atleast 10 years.. A few small kids will have plenty of room.

Boss has the targa and it gets pushed around a lot in wind due to the boats depth. I would reccommend the tracker pro guide 175. Great boat for the price, 8 foot rod lockers, plenty of storage, front and rear casting decks. Just my two cents. I would steer away from bass boats if you plan on fishing mille lacs or any larger bodies of water.

I do not fish much BIG water as I am in Utah and most of the lakes do not get over 3' waves too often.

I am really considering the Targa 2000 or the Champion Fish Hunter.

I took at look at the proguide 175 as I DO like the idea of a windshield and top for when it gets really windy but that is more for running across the lake as hard to fish with the top on. The main thing with the pro guide 175 and similar walkthrough type boats is the small front and rear deck.
    The deck size is what makes me lean to a bass boat but if I wanna troll in the fall they are not too swell for trolling....

ideas???

I just sold my boat over memorial weekend, that's listed in the swapmeet. A Lowe 180 Stinger it was perfect for what your talking about. That's how I used it. It was also great for Muskie, as a matter of fact the gentlemen that bought it bought it because of a Muskie trip with Muskie Matt from www.rfrg.com, he has a boat just like mine and fishes wallies and muskies out of it. I would take a look at www.xpressboats.com and look at the Hyperlift Bass Series the H-22 will be my next boat. On the passenger side the rod storage goes all the way up to the front which make plenty of room for all my 9 footers. The floor layout is perfect for a large deck box/extension for lures. I also bass fish and panfish with the kids so it fills my needs, Looks super awesome too! Check it out!;-)
    Buddy Ellenburg

Take a Kid fishing they'll have a Lifetime of Memories!!

Consider trolling. If you do it, a bass boat is not what you want. Unless you have a new injected motor and troll over 2.5mph you would likely need a kicker. Yes, you can sort of troll in a bass boat but why fight it when you can have a boat that is designed for trolling.

If you don't troll, I'd never even think twice about it, the bass boat would be great. It is designed for fishing. Get a boat that works now and worry about what you might need in the future when the need is real. Then an older carbed motor would work too.

A bigger boat with a deep V is great on big water but so much overkill on smaller waters, that's why I got rid of the one I had for 17 years. You should really get a boat that satisfies the needs you have for the bulk of your fishing, not just a few oddball trips that may happen.

I had an 1990 Champion Fish Hunter/225 opti It was an awesome rig, rode and handled great, fished great and had good storage. An awesome all around boat if you can find one in your price range.

Currently fishing a 1997 champion fishhunter. Amazingly smooth ride, dry ride, tons of casting deck. Would reccmmend it.

JEM - that is what I was really contemplating right before I saw your post is how much will I really troll...if at all. I think in the fall I may do some trolling so I have been looking more and more today at "walleye" boats.

I have kinda narrowed it down to these boats at this point I think.

If anyone out there knows of a great deal on one or has input please let me know.

Tracker Targa 1900 or 2000 (have found a 2000 in my price range)
    Champion Fish Hunter
    Fisher FX DV 18
    A Bass boat such as a Stratos 201XL

Please let me know your feedback on these options (I do know the bass boat will suck for trolling).

It will probably boil down to price so if you know of any GREAT deals please do let me know Dustin@FreeMyDollars.com

THANK YOU GUYS for your help on this decision, since I live in Utah and really can not go to any dealer and see any of these boats.

that Champion is beyond anything else on your list. it doesn't even compare ... buy the Champion and be happy with one of the best boats ever built.