Thread: ETEC Mileage ???

ETEC Mileage ???

Hi Guys:

My buddy bought a new Ranger 620 at the end of last summer with a 250 ETEC.

We didn't have our trip meter set this weekend so we are not 100% sure how many miles we went, but on the MN musky opener we fished 3 different lakes over the weekend nothing more than 3000 acres and burned through 33 gallons of gas.

That just shocked us.

Can anyone with the larger ETECs (200, 225, 250) give me an idea of what you are getting for mileage per gallon?

Thanks

RE: ETEC Mileage ???

I've got a 2009 620 with the E-tec 250 H.O. I can't tell you exact mileage that I've gotten, never figured that out. I think there's too many variables in that calculation (wind, driving speed, etc) to give an exact number of MPG's. I can tell you that I've learned to drive a little more conservatively than I did when I first got the rig. I usually try to stay around 3,800 to 4,000 RPM's for cruising with the motor trimmed out. I'll do about 38-40mph with the boat reasonably loaded down at this RPM.
    I spent a week on lake Vermilion last year, and did a fair amount of running around and I believe we burned about 70-75 gallons over the course of the week.

If you're flying around at top speed all the time, it'll definitely eat up some fuel. But, with a big boat and a big motor, you can't expect your engine to just sip fuel. Overall I've been happy with the E-tec so far.

Ryan

With my gages I can see realtime data on how much gas is being used, gallons per hour, miles per gallon, and a host of other information like water pressure, temperature and more.

My 2010 Evinrude 200HO on a Tuffy X-190 (1300# hull) will cruise at around 42 miles per hour at 3.78 miles per gallon with two people plus gear, 9.9 kicker, 24V trolling motor, three batteries, and a full tank of 36 gallons. Of course that's the best reading I can get by adjusting the jackplate and trim for max mileage at that speed. WOT will give me 3.32 miles per gallon at about 62mph with three aboard. There might be better speeds and trim/heigth combinations but I'm not going to run slower than 40mph just to save a few bucks on gas. The fishing time is worth more to me. I know at various idle speeds the mileage is around 12-14 miles per gallon.

I know for a fact that comparing it to my old 1991 Johnson Fast Strike 150HP on an Alumacraft Competitor 185 with similar equipment I can run farther, faster and use the same gas now with the 200HO in 14 days as I would have in 10 days fishing Canadian water where 10 mile runs are just hops.

Mileage is pretty much a function of how much weight you have in the boat, how many stop/starts you make, and how much motor you can get out of the water. If you are running with lots of equipment like batteries and gas, you are going to suck fuel bigtime no matter what you do. If you are running the wrong prop, and aren't hitting the 5400-5600rpm WOT range you are going to be sucking more gas also. If you are running trimmed down there goes more mileage. You have to watch the gages and see what trim adjustments help to squeeze the max mileage out of any motor.

Anyone know how this compares with a four stroke of similar hp?

Most if not all outboard manufactures post different boat/motor combos with the results of performance (including fuel)...........so you could go to Merc or ?? and take a look at what they offer.